Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updating video drivers in Win 7 64bit, I'm doing it wrong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating video drivers in Win 7 64bit, I'm doing it wrong.

Before I post this on a more technical forum I figured I'd post it here first. This way I can only have a couple hundred people laugh at me before a bajillion do.

Ok, built my system back in November. After everything was installed I noticed I had an Nvidia control panel with out me having to manually install drivers. Worked great, no issues. Just had to enable SLI, that was it. Then a couple of days ago I noticed there were some new drivers on the Nvidia site. Selected my card, my OS, then it spit out this 266.58 version driver.

Unistalled the driver, even used Driver Sweeper, install went flawless. Hop into BFBC2, noticed my FPS went from 170, down to 70. Went to Nvidia control panel and noticed my system defaulted to single card operation. No problem, I re-enabled SLI. Restart BFBC2 hop into game, my FPS was a stuttering 30 FPS, gradually dropping down to about 20 FPS.

So I uninstalled the drivers, let Win 7 default back to the ones I had originally, now all is right again. So what did I do wrong besides trying to upgrade to newer drivers in the first place? Does it activate some kind of forced 100xAA that I don't now about, some kind of check box I missed for activating full power? I'm a noob to Win 7.
    Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

were they the beta drivers? sometimes nvidia has those listed,, thats my two cents.

Comment

I had to go back and double check because you never know, but they weren't.

Comment

Did you run driver sweeper in the safe mode?
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Yup. I figured it would be just like any other install. I just googled "266.58 problems" and I see quite a few people having similar problems with them. Maybe I'll hold out until the next release.

Comment

I'm on 260.99 with no issues.
            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Yeah those are the same ones I rolled back too. 260.99 work great for me. This is my first time encountering something like this. I have installed drivers and took a little hit here or there, nothing like this though.

Comment

i am glad you made this thread, i got rig up and running, and didnt have to download the crappy driver thanks to your post.

Comment

Yea Nvidia has been known to issue some "questionable" drivers. I would just keep the current rollback that works for you

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                  Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                  widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X