Help me build a new machine for my brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me build a new machine for my brother

OK, I've convinced my brother to build his next machine with my help. He's not a PC gamer, and this doesn't need to be a hardcore gaming rig. But I convinced him that he'll save a couple hundred bucks and learn a lot about computers in the process.

Again, this doesn't need to be a screaming gaming rig, but I want it to be a strong machine capable of playing most new games. I want to future proof this as much as possible so this machine will last him a good 5 years.

I threw this build together in about a half hour, so there may be mistakes. Total cost is just under a grand. The OS will be Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Please let me know what you think.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, $100

Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760, $210

GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, $120

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL, $50

EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card, $205

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive, $70

ASUS Black 22X DVD+R 12X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 12X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 40X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache E-IDE/PATA CD/DVD Burner - OEM, $20

Acer G235HAbd 23'' 5ms 1920x1080 WideScreen LCD monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1, $150

you have the vid card twice, but only did the price once, be sure to note that.
    if he isnt going to be gaming, i doubt you'd need to run that card in SLI. im sure it could be ran just fine solo. maybe spend that cash on a nicer sound card or speaker set up.

id say that quad core will be relavent for at least the next 5 years, but, who knows. i mean he'l be able to do anything possible nowadays just fine for the next few years, so id so sure, sounds good.
    well, i am a cooler master whore, and i think they make some better cases than antec. i think the antecs are over priced for what you get.

this is my case, freaking love it, and if i build a rig again, will dump old 2nd rig case for a new one of these.
    Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

cheaper, free shipping, and form comparing the pics, wow, CM looks a lot nicer inside. but like i said, i am biased, but at least you can not argue with the cheaper+ free shiping.

did not notice a power supply, maybe dump that 2nd vid card to compensate.

Comment

Originally posted by Infamous View Post
      you have the vid card twice, but only did the price once, be sure to note that.
      if he isnt going to be gaming, i doubt you'd need to run that card in SLI. im sure it could be ran just fine solo. maybe spend that cash on a nicer sound card or speaker set up.

id say that quad core will be relavent for at least the next 5 years, but, who knows. i mean he'l be able to do anything possible nowadays just fine for the next few years, so id so sure, sounds good.
      well, i am a cooler master whore, and i think they make some better cases than antec. i think the antecs are over priced for what you get.

this is my case, freaking love it, and if i build a rig again, will dump old 2nd rig case for a new one of these.
      Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

cheaper, free shipping, and form comparing the pics, wow, CM looks a lot nicer inside. but like i said, i am biased, but at least you can not argue with the cheaper+ free shiping.

did not notice a power supply, maybe dump that 2nd vid card to compensate.
      Actually, I only meant to put in one video card. We're not gonna run SLI.

On the PSU, I simply forgot to look for one.

And on the case, I'm more than willing to look at the Cooler Master series.

Thanks!

Comment

Cooler Master for sure. In the past I was never worried about my case, other than the difference between a mid-size case or a full tower. Then I upgraded to a Cooler Master Storm Scout and I fell in love.
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119196
        The only knock against it is that the HDdrives are installed sideways, so the SATA cabling takes a little planning, but other than that it's awesome.
        Biggest features I love are the awesome carrying handle on top. The large fan on top. The PSU area is on the bottom of the case so the warm air blows out of the bottom (my 3 previous cases had the PSU exhausting down towards the CPU).

I was actually thinking about buying another one for my next computer project just in case this product is discontinued by then.

Other than that it looks good for the purpose you're looking for. It might not run the newest games very good in 5 years, but you should be able to upgrade along the way.

Comment

Newegg.com - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I have this case. Very well made and designed. Extremely quiet and cools extremely well. Notice the cut out around the CPU on otherboard. You do not have to remove the motherboard to change out the CPU Fan. Also cable management is great and it is designed to run them behind the motherboard.
          Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
            Newegg.com - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I have this case. Very well made and designed. Extremely quiet and cools extremely well. Notice the cut out around the CPU on otherboard. You do not have to remove the motherboard to change out the CPU Fan. Also cable management is great and it is designed to run them behind the motherboard.
            Apache
            That's a sweet looking case. It would be a shame to put mid-range parts in it.

Comment

Tuck I have that Antec case that was in your orig post. Been using it for a couple of years. It's a good case the only problem was cable routing is not as nice as others...or maybe I was lazy when I put it together and now I can look into the case and see the mess.

Comment

Looks good to me. I can see a five year future proof with a possible video card upgrade in maybe 2+ years. Figure you can get a decent 3.8ghz 24/7 overclock on the cpu if you needed to. Looks like a very capable machine to me.

I have to give a +1 to NZXT cases, they rock.

I built a very similar machine in November with the exception I'm running two 460s SLI and the Intel I5-750. I've run it on just one card and got really nice results.
                Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Is there a reason that your not going with a Sandy bridge processor, the $200 version almost runs neck and neck with the highend i7 processors.
                  I'm here to kill friends. Do you want to be my friend?

Comment

They also make a similar style in a midrange case. I have always liked full towers. They give you plenty of room for expansion.
                    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Just adding to Pigworthy's advice...
                      If you want an Intel system, and if you can wait until April, Sandy Bridge parts should be available. Expert system builders are advising to wait for that.

Comment

Plus, socket 1156 is coming to an end. I'd say wait for Sandy Bridge.
                        Motivate

Comment

Originally posted by mapes View Post
                          Tuck I have that Antec case that was in your orig post. Been using it for a couple of years. It's a good case the only problem was cable routing is not as nice as others...or maybe I was lazy when I put it together and now I can look into the case and see the mess.
                          I have this case also, and the cable routing was really my only gripe about it. Plenty of cooling; everything runs pretty cool.

I would also recommend waiting for Sandy Bridge. It will greatly improve the upgradability of the rig, and prices will be on par with the current i7s. Everything should be cleared up with the SATA issues within the next month or so.
                          [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

True, April is right around the corner. If you can hold off pulling the trigger until then, its worth holding out for SB.
                            Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Another note about Sandy Bridge. You DON'T need a graphics card for it, these processors come with decent ones built on them. Spend the money on a 2600k processor, he isn't a gamer so it will be adequate, if he decides to game you can add one then. Just a thought.
                              I'm here to kill friends. Do you want to be my friend?

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X