Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processor help

I was wondering if this processor (Intel (r) core (tm) 2 Cpu 6600 @ 2.4 Ghz
    Motherboard P5WDH deluxe 775 socket) would work w/ the rest of mine.

I didn't know exactly what info was needed and so I just took screen shots of CPUz

Not sure if it matters but I also have a liquid cooling system in my computer.

Thanks in advance for the help
    So go on, go on be your own, go on be your own star!
    A superstar in my eyes!

Everything would work, but the ram is 400 mhz where as the board is 800 mhz. Need to get some 800 mhz ram to match it up. 400 would work but not optimally. The water block you have is for an AMD chip and wont work with the Intel chip.

What CPU you running with that thing. The board you have is better than the one you're looking at seems like. if you just upgraded the CPU and the vid card on the board you have, you might be better off. Maybe others can help a bit.

Never mind.is that thing onboard video. I thought thats what I looked at.
    Last edited by {CLR} Cobalt; 8 Nov 2010, 11:35 PM.
    [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

no, that motherboard uses an AMD CPU. in regards to motherboards and CPUs. AMD and intel are incompatible with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} Cobalt View Post
        I dont know what your temps run, but you should be able to overclock that cpu fairly easy specially with liquid cooling. That board with American Megatrends bios should be able to overclock about 20%. I have a similar board on my old machine with the same bios and was able to overclock it 15% with stock cooling.You could probably go 20% with water on it.

The vid card will be your problem. But from my experience with Treyarch vs. Dice, the Cod games that Treyarch put out were easier on the vid card than the games Dice put out. BBC2 ran about 50 fps where as Cod WaW ran around 90 fps. Depends on what kind of settings you have in game and the resolution.

You can find some cheap deals on vid cards. I havent priced in a while cause all I looked at was the Nvidia 480. Some of the other guys might be able to help with what's out there now.

I also ran it with just 2gb of ram. Upgraded to four but really couldnt tell any difference.

If you're trying to get up and running for Black Ops, I think you could do it fairly cheap and get by.
        did you read the same post I did?

Comment

I thought I had it edited. but I guess you seen that before I got to it. I misread what she asked.

Sorry.
          [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

I'm not sure I would dare do what you suggest Cobalt. When I do stuff like that, it never turns out right. Thanks for the info though, I will keep it in mind because this is for COD.
            A superstar in my eyes!

Comment

Is this the board you have? Newegg.com - ASUS M4A78L-M AM3AM2 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Comment

Originally posted by Warhead View Post

That would be the one
                A superstar in my eyes!

Comment

Can you please put up a screenshot of the CPU tab in CPU-Z, or if you know, what model processor you have? By the looks of the motherboard, you've got a decent setup that you should be able to upgrade. I have a strong suspicion you already meet the minimum specs for black ops, just don't have enough info yet. Also, would you happen to know what kind of power supply you have? Brand and model would be very helpful.

The ram is reading at 400, but it's in dual channel, so it is actually 800.

Comment

A superstar in my eyes!

Comment

That X2 245 is running at 2.9ghz, so you are already near the top of the speed chain in AMD's lineup. You wouldn't be able to buy a stock CPU that is too much faster as well, so this is actually a tough upgrade to recommend.
                      In fact, I probably wouldn't recommend a hexa-core simply because the software support for those extra cores isn't there yet.
                      The best I could recommend without spending too much is the Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition, running at 3.2ghz and having an unlocked multiplier. That is the important part:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...AMD-_-19103846

The unlocked multiplier means you can overclock without running your RAM out of spec. You simply change the CPU multiplier upwards instead of bumping your frontside bus up. These chips can usually do 3.8ghz at stock voltages, and that is a significant bump.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2490

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2927
                      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

I would suggest going up to a Quadcore also.

Phenom x4 955/965/970
                        All 3 come in black edition, unlocked multi+water = happy days.

955/965/970 compared

Should be enough power in that to keep you gaming for a long while. Wish i could get a high range 775 chip for what those newer x4's are goin for

Comment

Interestingly, there are some Asus boards that WILL unlock that 55 B.E. into a 4 core chip, but judging by the last letter in the board name (L), I do NOT see that on the supported list, altho it may just be untested.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25...-asus-m4a785td

Users have had success unlocking on the 'T' and 'E' versions of that board. A quad core running at 3.5ghz for $90 is a helluva deal if all of the pieces fall into place, but that is a big, BIGG ...
                          IF.
                          Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

It would be safer for her to buy the quad chip instead of the gimped dual and prey that it would unlock. Not sure about OCing on that board, its hard to find info.

Promising post
                            Biggest fear would be that the board just cant OC the quad.

Your in a better boat then me atleast. Im using an E8500 (dual core) clocked to 4ghz. My only upgrade option would be a $200-350 quad, and I would be lucky to get it up to 3.6-3.8ghz. And intel dont sell any unlocked chips for the 775, and im not ebaying a used one.

Also before you change out your chip Lady, make sure you update your BIOS to the latest version.

Comment

Maybe I missed read one of lady's post but I dont think she has a interest in overclocking?

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X