X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI to die.. The world just got whole lot better

I know ATI fanboi's will get upset

Rumor: AMD might retire the ATI brand - The Tech Report

In the past four years or so since its purchase of ATI, AMD has safely conserved the ATI brand and logo. Is that about to change? The guys at ATi-Forum.de say they've learned from "an anonymous Chinese source" that AMD intends to retire the ATI logo and sell graphics products under its own name.

The Google-translated article is a little tough to wade through, but from what I understand, it alleges that the launch of Fusion products?microprocessor-and-graphics chimeras like Ontario and Llano?will make it too difficult for AMD to keep juggling the two different brands. The story says the branding change will take place toward the end of this year.

Fittingly, late 2010 should be about the time we see AMD's first Ontario chips, which will bring together a new low-power microprocessor architecture (code-named Bobcat) and DirectX 11 graphics onto 40-nm silicon manufactured by TSMC. If ATi-Forum.de's super-secret Chinese source is right, the chip's branding could be all-AMD.

Selling Ontario CPUs under a single brand would probably make things easier for customers, although on the other side of the coin, AMD would no longer be able to capitalize on ATI's brand recognition. Of course, ATI doesn't even correspond to a division inside AMD anymore. The chipmaker merged its CPU and GPU businesses in a 2009 shakeup.

Google Translate [Update] AMD bald ohne ATi-Logo?

We have learned from an anonymous Chinese sources that AMD is reportedly planning to the sale of dedicated graphics cards under the current ATI logo, for cost reasons and the sake of transparency own product lines, like the set in.

AMD took over four years, the graphics chip-blacksmiths ATi Graphics, still boasts graphics and chipset solutions to this logo below. However, an anonymous source has occurred to us that the soon to end a stand before.

The reason is the introduction of merger and associated products to be. The continue of the product name ATi-Graphics, the company no longer exists, would be long for AMD in the long run too costly, as AMD would have two such different brands woo for when Fusion integrated graphics will appear.

Were also received from the information indicates that recruitment of the ATI logo already the end of this year, which will take place. For if a PC with Core i7 processor, and consequently with a Core i7-sticker is decorated, the PC, but graphics card from AMD has one, so even a ATI logo is due, this can be little feedback on the actual manufacturer the graphics card to say AMD. A new logo could change this.

With the launch of Fusion, a radical change seems inevitable, for beyond is a "single-brand strategy, much cheaper and it also has other advantages for AMD. If the information is correct, is the end of this year, AMD's implementation of the current brand strategy experienced a radical conversion.

Even AMD's VISION concept would speak for the change, because on any of the newly introduced logo is a hint or reference to ATI Graphics found.

We strive for a confirmation, so long will this information a rumor. We will keep you informed.

Update on 17:08:10, 10:55 clock: In direct demand for AMD, they wanted us to deny the rumor either, be confirmed. We will continue to keep informed.
    This is good news if all its true. Most of us know about Intel integrated CPU/GPU is improving. AMD is working on their CPU/GPU. I support AMD, but cant say I support ATI. Especially if its going to have ATI guts lol. I guess I'll jump on the Intel Bandwagon

The way I see it. ATI would long be gone if it wasn't for hiring the former Lockheed Martin Real3D employees.

With that said, lets jump to the great Nvidia!

Anyone else thinks Nvidia dynasty is a dying breed? Nvidia is going alone but if Intel quit beening a asshat and let Nvidia make their x86 CPU. The world just got a whole lot better.

double post failed
    Last edited by Caddys83; 19 Aug 2010, 10:52 AM. Reason: ,

Comment

Wait a second, you are an nVidia fan boy with an AMD CPU? The hell is wrong with you. You know your Phenom is holding your card back, right?

<--------- trolling ATI

Comment

I'm not sure what all this means but the most important thing is that there is always competition. If that goes away then we will get less GPU for more money.
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Its rather risky at some point, in that ATI reputation of late has been better than Nvidia's, and this after ATI took years of abuse due to their poor drivers.
          But starting with Nvidia's GTX280 and newer cards, where the transistor counts soared and the heat buildup risked burning out the card prematurely, ATI has taken the better route to making a gamer card. The 4870 and the newer 5970 cards are just a better buy right now.

To toss that and focus on AMD as an overall brand is fine, since they want to push the Fusion lineup, but hopefully the customer knows even after the fact that AMD=ATI.

After Nvidia's latest stock report, they need some good news to come their way .. but I don't think this is it.
          Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
            I'm not sure what all this means but the most important thing is that there is always competition. If that goes away then we will get less GPU for more money.

To sum it up. AMD will retire the name ATI for now. From the article, internal use of the name ATI is already dead since they merge the GPU division with the CPU division. So instead of the ATI Radeon, it maybe called AMD Radeon for now. Like I say, I dont know how much truth in in that article, Just wanted to have a conversation with someone on this subject

AMD is working on their Fusion CPU/GPU chips which means, the days of PCI-E GPU card(ATI/Nvidia) may have, lets say 10 more years give or take considering how AGP cards is still lingering around today. Nvidia entry into the CPU isnt going so well with Intel in the way. Remember Cyrix couldnt really get its foot in the market with AMD and Intel. This is one of the reasons why I think Nvidia is a dieing breed. There isnt room for a 3rd CPU. Remember when there was 3dfx, Real3D, PowerVR. "Big bank takes little bank"

Nvidia could focus more on the growing laptop/netbook/mobile market, but is it enough to support Nvidia without downsizing?

Comment

umm, Cyrix died because they made a substandard product.

Comment

Originally posted by drunken_chef View Post
                umm, Cyrix died because they made a substandard product.
                i think 3dfx got bought out because the voodoo cards were the shizzle.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X