Mapes latest hacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mapes latest hacking

So my wife and I bought a new place about 8 months ago. One of the perks was on the lower level a rather large closet that was shaded on the outside by a large Oak tree. Since my wife owns a ton of wine I converted part of the closet into a wine cellar. The problem now was with 140 bottles of wine finding what you want can be a pain. Also you want to drink strategically. Meaning some wines do not age so well or for so long so you should know what wines need to be drunk first. Being a Unix person I looked for an Open Source program. My requirements were it must be a networked app, I must host the data in house and it needs to run on Linux. Since I have a linux Web/SQL/PHP server already that seemed the best way to go. Most of the stuff I looked at was standalone java apps. I did find a bunch of out dated PHP based apps. So I took the most promising of those and hacked it a bit. I now present to you the result. My digital cellar. Anyone can look at it. You need a login to edit, leave tasting notes or drink a bottle. Without further ado ...check it out

Wine Site

It sorts by Varietal and Max Peak Age so I know when looking at a type of wine which one should be drunk first.

WOW! That's awesome, mapes!

I'd also like to see some pictures of the actual wine cellar as well.
    [SIZE=1][B]"Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption." ~President James Garfield[/B][/SIZE]
    <<< Please [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]donate[/URL] >>>

Comment

sheesh, you should have told me and ObiTroy before you went through all the trouble of organizing them: we could have drank a few to make it easier on you!

Hee hee. But I agree with Obi, some pics would be nice too. Sounds like a great assortment you have there!

Comment

that is an extensive wine collection you have there

Comment

I'll post pics of the cellar. It's also serves as a dry storage for our diving stuff and luggage so it's not like a show cellar. As for the wine its all my wife's doing. I just merely help make sure wines are consumed on time.

Comment

Pics of Wine Cellar. It's like I said it's in a closet so getting pics is not the easiest

Comment

Nice!
              [SIZE=1][B]"Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption." ~President James Garfield[/B][/SIZE]
              <<< Please [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]donate[/URL] >>>

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} ObiTroy View Post
                Nice!
                +1

Very nice job, Mapes!

Comment

Sweet Mapes

I took the idiots way out of putting the good stuff that needs time to age on top and the ready to drink stuff on bottom. Problem solved!!

Comment

WHERE ARE THE SPANISH WINES !!!!????!!!

Mapes...for all that is sacred....
                    K3BASFM. "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
                    sigpic

Support Cainslair. Donate here! Cain's Lair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Minerva View Post

Uhm, HELLO: he lives in California!

Comment

Hey we have one Spanish varietal Graciano sorry no Roja's or actual Spanish wine. My wife is more of a Francophone and hence more of the French influence. I will however take suggestions so offer some up Minerva

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                          Uhm, HELLO: he lives in California!
                          indeed, which mean NEW world wines
                          sigpic

Comment

indeed, which mean NEW world wines
                            You're probably using a NEW world processor.

Comment

Originally posted by mapes View Post
                              Hey we have one Spanish varietal Graciano sorry no Roja's or actual Spanish wine. My wife is more of a Francophone and hence more of the French influence. I will however take suggestions so offer some up Minerva
                              you asked for it

Some recommendations:

I classify them from 'Denominacion de Origen'

Ribera del Duero:
                              located on Spain`s northern plateau

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribera_del_Duero
                              http://www.riberadelduero.es/eng/index.asp

Pesquera Ribera del Duero Tinto 2006 (Varietal: Tempranillo)
                              Bodegas Protos Ribera del Duero Crianza 2005 (Tempranillo)
                              (here I could say Pingus 2004, but I doubt you want to pay around $ 800 a bottle )
                              these are two that I love and the price is affordable.

La Rioja

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rioja_%28wine%29
                              http://www.riojawine.com/en/index2.php

Marques de Riscal Rioja Reserva 2002 (90% Tempranillo, 10% Graciano and Mazuelo)
                              Muga Reserva 2005 (70% Tempranillo, 20% Garnacha, 10% Mazuelo and Graciano)
                              Bodegas Lan Rioja Reserva 2004 (Tempranillo)
                              Marques de Caceres Rioja Crianza 2006 (Tempranillo)
                              Marqu?s de Murrieta Reserva Rioja 2004 (Tempranillo)
                              Bodegas Riojanas Rioja Vi?a Albina Gran Reserva 1998 (Tempranillo)
                              Bodegas Bilbainas Rioja Vina Zaco Reserva 2006 (Tempranillo)
                              there are many.....

Penedes CATALAN PRODUCT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pened%C3%A8s

?lvaro Palacios Priorat les Terrasses 2003 (60% Grenache, 30% Carignan, and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon)
                              Descendientes Palacios Bierzo Petalos 2007 (Mencia)
                              Alvaro Palacios Finca Dofi 2004 (Grenache)

Whites from Penedes that I love:
                              Gramona Pened?s Gessam? 2008 (50% Muscat d'Alexandria, 20% Muscat Frontignan, 25% Sauvignon Blanc and 5% Gewurztraminer)
                              Miguel Torres Vina Esmeralda 2007 (Muscat, Gew?rztraminer)

Cavas: (m?thode champenoise) Totally CATALAN product

Juve Y Camps Reserva Brut Nature (Macabeo, Xarel.lo and Parellada)
                              Llopart Leopardi Brut Nature 2002 (Macabeo, Xarel.lo and Parellada)
                              Gramona Brut Imperial Gran Reserva 2004 (Macabeo, Xarel.lo and Parellada)
                              Brut Cava Anna de Codorniu (Macabeo, Xarel.lo and Parellada)

well, these are some of my favorites and also that I think you can find in the States, and also affordable.
                              sigpic

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X