Even legit companies make you download spyware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even legit companies make you download spyware

Great...not that it's a big deal...but I had to update my Adobe Flashplayer...and apparently I inadvertantly downloaded something called "McAfee Security Scanner" then it started doing some kind of "Autoscan" on my computer, and I was like WTH?

I UN-installed it.

Anyone think this is lame?
    Last edited by Minerva; 24 Jul 2010, 09:03 PM. Reason: wth :)

It's very lame. Sometimes they'll sneak a checkbox in there (defaulted to checked) that says install Google toolbar or such-and-such. This has happened to me on several occasions. Very frustrating.
    [SIZE=1][B]"Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption." ~President James Garfield[/B][/SIZE]
    <<< Please [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]donate[/URL] >>>

Comment

See, Tony, did you download Adobe flash from Adobe.com? Or from a popup that said "Flash Player needs updating" on bottom of the screen? Because if so, then that is one of the most popular ways a virus would enter your program. It's a hole in the coding of Adobe's products.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
        See, Tony, did you download Adobe flash from Adobe.com? Or from a popup that said "Flash Player needs updating" on bottom of the screen? Because if so, then that is one of the most popular ways a virus would enter your program. It's a hole in the coding of Adobe's products.
        Actually, I went straight to the Adobe.com website....and still, they "got me" lol

Comment

OH I hate it when they do that and I watch more than ever now to make sure there is no check box anywhere.
          [IMG]http://thepebkac.net/images/sigs/Outdoors_sig.jpg[/IMG]
          Like the community? Donate here:
          [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by DougBob View Post
            OH I hate it when they do that and I watch more than ever now to make sure there is no check box anywhere.
            THey should start making laws against that.....and yes, I'm partially serious.

Comment

I don't know if any of you guys have heard of Ninite but it is the greatest thing ever. Whenever I'm doing a clean Windows install it is just about the first place I go to install my "standard" software (Chrome, FF, Flash, Thunderbird, etc.)

You select what you want to download/install from a huge list of checkboxes, and it compiles it all into one installer. It makes sure to install the best version for you (32 vs 64 bit, for example) and never includes spyware or those dumb toolbars.

Linky: Ninite Easy PC Setup
              "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist."
              - Dom Helder Camara

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_T0NY {CLR} View Post
                THey should start making laws against that.....and yes, I'm partially serious.
                I think laws against it are unnecessary. Read twice and click once
                Delivering bacon goodness one round at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by H0ly-H@nd-Gr3nade View Post
                  I don't know if any of you guys have heard of Ninite but it is the greatest thing ever. Whenever I'm doing a clean Windows install it is just about the first place I go to install my "standard" software (Chrome, FF, Flash, Thunderbird, etc.)

You select what you want to download/install from a huge list of checkboxes, and it compiles it all into one installer. It makes sure to install the best version for you (32 vs 64 bit, for example) and never includes spyware or those dumb toolbars.

Linky: Ninite Easy PC Setup
                  Cool!
                  [SIZE=1][B]"Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption." ~President James Garfield[/B][/SIZE]
                  <<< Please [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]donate[/URL] >>>

Comment

Originally posted by baconoclock View Post
                    Agree.
                    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
                      Agree.
                      Apache
                      +100
                      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

PHssssh...reading stuff is overrated.

Comment

I used to be a click-click-click installer. Whatever it said click Okay. I've since learned to read and look at what is checked in the defaults.
                          A change of Pace.
                          "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

EVERY plugin comes with another plugin these days:

Shockwave
                            Flash
                            Google Earth
                            Acrobat Reader
                            Itunes

All of 'em .. the list goes on and on. My Vista box is showing signs of bogging down. The install is now 2 years old, so if I was into PCS like I usta be I would have blown it away and started over. Still sitting on my Win7 Ultimate DVD with plans of using that for the next build in a year or so.
                            Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                            Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                            widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X