Time for a general upgrade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a general upgrade.

Alright I guess with the fact i already am upgrading my video card and power supply I might as well generally upgrade the rest of my computer, so Im getting better fans and putting an additional fan in the front(gonna cheese grate the case so to speak)

Current Configuration:http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/10...4737Rsp3.shtml

Basucally im looking at a 700-750watt power supply (havent decided which one yet.)

Video Card: Ati4890(thanks Ghost Rain)

Ram: looking for a deal still going with 8gb of RAM, my slots are -DDR2 240pin Dimm- *if anyone knows of anywhere with a deal let me know

Lastly Hard-drive: Adding an additional 500gb -> 1tb of memory

Last quick point im adding any tips for installing or anything i should watch out for/know about installing any of these product for this will be my first time upgrading my computer myself.

I would be sure to find out if your MB has the proper connections for the PSU you are buying. OEM parts can be tricky and some have special connectors.
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
      I would be sure to find out if your MB has the proper connections for the PSU you are buying. OEM parts can be tricky and some have special connectors.
      Very good point.

Also 8GB of DDR2 is going to cost you a fortune. Not only have RAM prices close to doubled in the last 8 months, DDR2 is also EOL. All you need is 4gb. So look around for a 2x2gb DDR800 kit.

What motherboard do you have? I noticed on the Gateway website it only states the chipset range which is quite pathetic. You can either open the case up and read the model off of the motherboard itself or use CPU-Z.
      Last edited by juneau; 26 May 2010, 05:02 PM.

Comment

another thing about the RAM, I've found some boards, though they have 4 slots for RAM will not hold 4 sticks of RAM, for the slots are too close together (pretty amazing, really) to fit the RAM in without jamming it sideways, which of course I didn't do...this is basically with the RAM that has any type of a heat sink (the purpose of the heatsink, too, I'm guessing would be highly compromised by this situation). Maybe it's just me, but I've encountered it. So maybe try 4 gigs, and play around to see if you could fit them side by side, before starting, as I believe you'd want them in the 1 and 3 slots for operation anyway, before getting another 2 sticks.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
        Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
        widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X