Jailbroke my Ipod Touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jailbroke my Ipod Touch

Well, after two weeks with the Ipod Touch 8gb and Apple's strict policy of determining what exactly you can DO with your toy ... I was already looking for ways to circumvent their crApp store.

Obviously, if you've played with an Iphone or a Touch, you are aware of the ability to 'jailbreak' these devices to free up the OS to load custom backgrounds or hundreds of apps available from Cydia. Unfortunately, up until this week there was no way to jailbreak a gen3 Touch with firmware 3.13.

Leave it up to the underground to eventually release the jailbreak, and I found it on Friday going by the name of 'Spirit'. Easy to use, and it offers an untethered jailbreak, meaning you don't have to hook it up to a PC to run the app to jailbreak it every time you power off the Ipod.

So after doing that, I simply entered the URL to the Cydia repository and began loading more utilities and apps to take advantage of the newfound freedom from Apple's restrictions.

I've added themes which replace the black background (easiest way to identify a jailbroken Touch) and also added a 5th app to the four icon dock on the bottom of the screen via a mod. Most of the apps stored on the Cydia repository are free other than emulators, but so far I have gone easy on the tweaks just to make sure everything is compatible.

Instructions for using the jailbreak can be found here:
    http://www.hardwareinsight.com/untet...h-3g-os-3-1-3/

This jailbreak is reversible, meaning if you need to have your Iphone or Touch serviced, you will want to restore it to pre-jailbreak condition.

I had always thought reading webpages and using such a small screen was a real waste of time, but I love having instant access to info. I was watching a travel show that detailed the Giant Causeway in Ireland, and in a minute I had the wiki pulled up and read more about it without leaving the sofa !
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Cool. If you have a TV card on your computer you should give Orb a try (http://orb.com/). I use it on my blackberry and it works great, can watch TV anywhere. You can also use it to access any multimedia or files from your PC.
    [SIZE=1][B]"Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption." ~President James Garfield[/B][/SIZE]
    <<< Please [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]donate[/URL] >>>

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, Obi !! I loaded an app called i.TV last night and that looks interesting as well. The reviews indicate it crashed often, but in my brief 15 minutes of using it, everything went fine.

Any other apps that are recommended ?
      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

My list of apps so far:

i.TV
        Redbox
        Dish Network
        Mapquest 4 Mobile
        wikiHow
        UrbanSpoon
        Weather Channel
        USA Today
        MXTube
        xGPS

Comment

Does this jailbreak work with the 32gb model as well?

Is there a way to connect an ipod to the internet via usb link (no wifi)?
          Please like Pocket Radio Player on Facebook to support this little Freeware app.

Comment

Originally posted by Grisu View Post
            Does this jailbreak work with the 32gb model as well?

Is there a way to connect an ipod to the internet via usb link (no wifi)?
            ALL models, including the newest 3.13 firmware. Previous jailbreaks worked only on older firmware like 3.12, so this effectively makes ALL Ipods/Touch/Ipads jailbreakable, including the newest Ipod Touch 8/32/64gb models.

Not sure on the USB->web, but wireless is definitely the way to go unless you have extenuating circumstances. You can even use Skype with a $5 mic for the Touch and make calls with the Ipod Touch over your wireless AP.

Edit: Gris, only thing I could find on Ipod net access over USB is here:
            http://alk2blog.blogspot.com/2008/08...e-via-usb.html
            Last edited by WalkinTarget; 10 May 2010, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input!

Haven't done my jailbreak yet as I'm still on warrenty.
              I fear breaking stuff...

As for Wifi: I have tossed 2 new routers into the bin, cause it wifi is unstable for me. I'm currently on direct power-lan to modem connection.

Can I copy apps over to ipod "directly" i.e. PC - IPOD?
              Please like Pocket Radio Player on Facebook to support this little Freeware app.

Comment

I want to try jail breaking my Itouch but I have a few questions.

1. My son has downloaded many games on it so will he still be able to use them and will he still be able to buy games?

2. Can I use the music that I have bought form Itunes?

3. After the jailbreak can I drag and drop music freely to and from my I touch and what app will I need to use to listen to it?

That's all i can think of off the top of my head.
                [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Damn, its nice to have internet access again !!! One week of vacation, only to come home to find that Verizon is down and out until Tues. 9 PM for me

OK Duke, here we go:

1) Yes - nothing changes here

2) Yes - same as above

3) Yes - use SharePod

The jailbreak is transparent and is not identified by Apple nor Itunes when you connect to the App Store. The jailbreak will direct you to download and install Cydia which acts as a third party repository for many downloads which in effect mirror many of the apps that show up on the App Store.
                  The only manual settings you need to point it to Cydia is the address, like so:
                  Welcome to Cydia.hackulo.us!

The jailbreak can add something as simple as backgrounds, or a 5th icon on the bottom of the screen, which are my two favorite features so far. It offers 'skins' if you have a favorite movie or music group, and a lot of customization that Apple does not like you having, or would like to create an app and sell you instead of doing it free.

Linky added for more info: http://www.iphonespies.com/iphone-ne...e-iphone-apps/

Comment

WT, hate to bust your bubble, but the 3.1.3 firmware has been jailbreakable for awhile now. you use Ih8sn0w along with sn0wbreeze to jailbreak it with a custom firmware through Itunes. It actually isn't that hard, just takes a moment.

3.1.3 firmware was not unlockable for the Iphone's, which is what the major issue was.
                    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Actually, it wasn't jailbreakable for the newer Touch models (or the Iphone models) sporting F/W 3.13 until early May when I posted.

I was keeping my eye out for a method, and as far as I know Spirit was the first to offer the jailbreak for those models.

Comment

You could have rolled back to 3.1.2 w/ custom firmware, that was the workaround IIC. Sorry I didn't notice the date on that post.
                        [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                        widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X