Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any windows enterprise IT admins out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any windows enterprise IT admins out there?

I'm curious if any one has played around with the WAIK (Windows Automated Install Kit) or WDS (Windows Deployment Services). I pretty much have them setup ok right now where I can get a machine to PXE boot, start winpe, setup the drive, install vista sp2 with some customizations, auto join the domain and auot login which causes some commands to be fired off on the first login. Mostly stuff like disable UAC, disable the firewall, enable RDP and create a wallpaper that shows the machine OS and SP level, the Domian, the IP and the Machines name.

The last thing is the annoying problem I want to fix. When the machine auto joins the domain it's given a random name. Now I see in WDS I can give it a naming policy where the machine can have a name based off of the ou and incrementing numbers. This is not what I want. I currently have my DNS setup with forward and reverse names for each and every machine. I want WDS to name the machine after it's DNS record. Which seems incredibly stupid not to include this from the very beginning. Oh yeah BTW the entire process is convoluted and poorly documented. At least I got this far

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X