Components life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Components life

Something is really confusing me these days. My last build (I say build but it was custom built by a retailer) was 4 years ago. Running Q6600 and 2gigs ram (2gigs died due to Asus' horrible memory slot building). I have been thinking of getting a new rig for about a month or so. I asked people who have built their own computers. I have asked them many, many questions. They are all so confusing. I asked Warhead to direct me at a PSU. He said Corsair. I asked another person and they said Corsair "blew" and that Coolermaster had better PSUs. What's the difference? It's a PSU that provides the same wattage. I ask about video cards, I was planing on spending about $400 for a GTX285. Warhead said Get a high end card and it will crash, die, burn your house, and leave you homeless and 400 dollars down (Mind you, he had 3 GTX280s RMA'd. Maybe it's his lousy building skills?) . I asked another person and he said what's the point of building a PC if you aren't going to get a good GFX card. I have NEVER been so torn choosing something. I spent at least 4 hours comparing motherboards on newegg to the point of nausea and fatigue.

Why is it so hard for me to choose a bunch of friggin components? They can't be more than 10 pieces.

I am now torn between saving 2500 bucks or getting a higher end PC. I am so close to giving up and keeping up with this lousy PC I have that plays BC2 at 30FPS with lowest settings.

/vent

There will always be opinions from certain people about certain brands based on the experience they have had with that company so you need to sort through them by making a parts list and posting it here. We wont steer you wrong.

Also keep reading the reviews too that will help you come up with your list before you post it. I built my first rig here with the help of everyone and it is still going strong after 3 years.
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Lol i barely understand what your talking about to complex for me

Eye em coeputer stoopid

Comment

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

(2x)Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W ATX12V v2.3 EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5 - SSD

OK this is the build that I kinda came up with. GTX260 because for some reason every single retailer I know online has no EVGA GTX285. I guess I'll use the 260 until the GTX480 drops on April 9th. Then I'll have to wait about 2 months for nVidia to figure out their drivers and get a GTX480.

Thoughts, suggestions? 2 things I won't change, the 80GB SSD (I know short life, expensive but I wanna try em) and the 12Gig RAM. I must get at least 12GB RAM. I am a RAMaholic.

I shall provide photos of build when I get it and maybe a picture of my six-pack if any of you would like it (I don't recommend it)

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
          There will always be opinions from certain people about certain brands based on the experience they have had with that company so you need to sort through them by making a parts list and posting it here. We wont steer you wrong.

Also keep reading the reviews too that will help you come up with your list before you post it. I built my first rig here with the help of everyone and it is still going strong after 3 years.
          Very well said and I can't agree more! The most important thing to remember K is some people are strong in their beliefs and experiences. This is fine and there is nothing wrong with it, but you have to take that into consideration when trying to figure these things out. Take for example some people believe 1000 watts of power is way over kill and a waste where some people believe 1000 watts will serve you well and last longer due to it handling power loads with less effort due to higher rated components. Both opinions have merit. My self I'm a corn feed meat eater and believe bigger is better. AArrggg arg arg arg arg. I'm just sad they don't make a 10,000 watt power supply that will fit in my case

As Duke said, the best thing for you to do is reading a few reviews like from Toms Hardware, OCZ, etc and get a decent idea of what everyone is talking about concerning name brands and pick from them You'll never pick the perfect system since there is no such thing.
          The corsair AND cooler master are perfectly good PSU and you won't go wrong purchasing either one.
          The list you put together looks fine and all I see there is good name brand items that would server you well.
          [IMG]http://thepebkac.net/images/sigs/Outdoors_sig.jpg[/IMG]
          Like the community? Donate here:
          [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate[/URL]

Comment

I would only change the memory.

Customer Reviews Of Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB Desktop Memory Model 998691 - Retail

Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Thanks. I personally had good experience with Mushkin. It was on my top list of considerations. I'll give it another look.

And 1000 is never overkill!!!!!!!!! Gotta get ready for that GTX480, it must take at least half of it... I was going to get 1500watts but I didn't want to make my house blow a fuse every time I turned it on lol

Comment

Save yourself the worries, kid, and get a console!

Comment

Also, here are GTX285's for sale.... This website is whom I order almost all of my computer parts from and have never had a bad experience with them. Based out of Texas and usually have fast shipping.

nVIDIA Video Cards nVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 Series Video Cards nVIDIA GeForce GTX285 Graphics Card PCI Express Video Card SLI Ready Crossfire Ready Low Profile VD-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com
                  [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                    Save yourself the worries, kid, and get a console!

Blasphemy!!!!

Comment

You're actually going to buy a GTX 480? Wow.....

And 1000W? LOL. PS Corsair (Really Seasonic) do make great PSU's. Slightly better than CM imo who have only recently got back into the PSU market in a big way.

Drop the I7 930 for a 920 and overclock it.

Nice to see you have a SSD listed. Bit it's far more expensive that it's closely matched performance rivals. Drop it for a 128gb Curcial M225. The extra space will be beneficial.

Why a Raptor? Apart from burst speeds they're pretty average now with some standard drives having faster average read/writes.

3 way SLI board huh. Thinking of going down this route with your graphics cards? If the answer is no there are much better single card and crossfire boards available for less.

$75 on a CPU cooler? You can get great coolers for 1/2 as much. Don't really have time to look on Newegg but look at Arctic Cooling and Scythe.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                        You're actually going to buy a GTX 480? Wow.....
                        Gotta get the best

And 1000W? LOL. PS Corsair (Really Seasonic) do make great PSU's. Slightly better than CM imo who have only recently got back into the PSU market in a big way.

Drop the I7 930 for a 920 and overclock it.

I don't overclock, don't ask

Nice to see you have a SSD listed. Bit it's far more expensive that it's closely matched performance rivals. Drop it for a 128gb Curcial M225. The extra space will be beneficial.
                        Considering

Why a Raptor? Apart from burst speeds they're pretty average now with some standard drives having faster average read/writes.
                        That's because I love my raptors. It's for storage.
                        3 way SLI board huh. Thinking of going down this route with your graphics cards? If the answer is no there are much better single card and crossfire boards available for less.
                        Yeah I don't really like SLI. All X58 mobos seem to have at least 2 pci-E slots so I went with 3.
                        $75 on a CPU cooler? You can get great coolers for 1/2 as much. Don't really have time to look on Newegg but look at Arctic Cooling and Scythe.
                        but dood, it has a V8 on it! Looks like an engine block, made by COOLER master. There is nothing bad about it! I'm also an impulse buyer.
                        They're out, Gene. But thanks either way.

Skud

Thank you gentlemen. Seems to be building up pretty nicely

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post

Skud
                          Notice how the rocket just bounces off me?...I'm like a fortified bunker.

Anyway, Phantom, I had to answer silly-like...I know you'd have the same response if I told you to go for an Amd proc like mine...or ati card.

Comment

I said 285, not high end card....

If you wanna try your luck with the 280 they're sending me Monday, I would absolutely love to sell the freakin thing. Will still be sealed from EVGA with those little "quality assured" stickers

No refunds
                            and preemptive "I told ya so"

Comment

Originally posted by skud View Post
                              save Yourself The Worries, Kid, And Get A Console!
                              Burrn Himmmm !! He's A Witch !!!!!!

Burrrrnnn Himmmm !!!!!!!
                              Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X