Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harmless vs Harmful Stuff to Computer

I'm kind of out of the loop here.

From my understanding Adware is the stuff that's harmless, it's the viruses you need to be concerned about , right?

I do a daily scan of my computer and eliminate whatever it finds after it scans.

This morning it found 4 "Adware.Coupons", now from my understanding, the purpose of adware is to ...for instance, "This guy likes to browse Sci Fi and Comic Book sites" so the adware collects the data on that.....so it's about just manipulating things for marketing purposes?

It's just used to see your "browsing" habits and use that for information for survey purposes and whatever they want to use THAT info for?

Typically, they can just be an annoyance (for those who don't rid their systems of it) than a real problem, right?

Per a definition of Adware:

Adware are programs that facilitate delivery for advertising content to the user and in some cases gather information from the user's computer, including information related to Internet browser usage or other computer habits. They can take up your computers resources and are largely responsible for the countless popup ads you receive on the web. Adware is often bundled with or embedded within freeware programs like such as clocks, messengers, alerts, weather, and so on.

Adware is terrible. Often times if it goes without being removed it will install more and more adware until all your memory is being used up and your computer is running at a turtle's pace.
    [hlx]

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel_Tighlon View Post
      Adware is terrible. Often times if it goes without being removed it will install more and more adware until all your memory is being used up and your computer is running at a turtle's pace.
      Yeah, in the late 90's early 2000's, I never had a Virus protection installed, I think this was the time where this kind of thing was spreading tthrough the internet like fire.

And I've an experience, every like 10 mins,I get 5 popups popping up at once, annoyed the crap out of me. lol

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
      Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
      widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X