Fake Spyware Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake Spyware Ads

I hate this crap, you're browsing a website, then something comes up saying, "You're PC maybe infected....so let's do a scan"

Then a fake WINDOWS window pops up showing fake drives that aren't yours, and it's doing some kind of "Fake" scan.

It's actually a browser window and not a scanning program. The only way out of it is to Cntrl Alt Delete and cancel it from there. The it tries to get you to save something.

I think it's one of those spywares they try to FORCE onto your system when typically that comes from an ad banner on a website that you may have MOUSED over and not necessarily CLICKED on

Any theories?

Is this something to be concerned about?

Get a good pop up blocker.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_T0NY {CLR} View Post
      I hate this crap, you're browsing a website, then something comes up saying, "You're PC maybe infected....so let's do a scan"

Then a fake WINDOWS window pops up showing fake drives that aren't yours, and it's doing some kind of "Fake" scan.

It's actually a browser window and not a scanning program. The only way out of it is to Cntrl Alt Delete and cancel it from there. The it tries to get you to save something.

I think it's one of those spywares they try to FORCE onto your system when typically that comes from an ad banner on a website that you may have MOUSED over and not necessarily CLICKED on

Any theories?

Is this something to be concerned about?
      the button flip

you think that you closed the ad.. but you actually installed it

Comment

Originally posted by Roffe View Post
        the button flip

you think that you closed the ad.. but you actually installed it
        I hit cancel, and it cancelled, did a quickscan with MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware and my reg. Anti Virus, it found nothing.

I scan my system daily....I think it's one of those harmless deals that randomly pops up in ad banners on Myspace or social networking sites.

Comment

I really get a good laugh out of these... especially when I've booted into my Linux partition the popup is complaining about how my "C:" drive is infected

Comment

Firefox Add ons:

Adblock Plus

Flashblock

Install them, love them, life is good again.
            Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Another one I like is NoScript.
              [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

My wife (a Mac user at work) got hit by this because she thought it looked like the "My computer" window. Needless to say she is now trained on how to deal with these.

Comment

Originally posted by mapes View Post
                  My wife (a Mac user at work) got hit by this because she thought it looked like the "My computer" window. Needless to say she is now trained on how to deal with these.
                  Same with my wife's sister (but not a mac). I built her a brand new shiny computer last summer. I got a phone call from her not too long after she got it home and plugged up: "I had something pop up that said my computer was infected so I clicked OK to scan... ."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I had taken an image of her HD before she left with it so was enough to fix
                  [SIZE=1][B]"Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption." ~President James Garfield[/B][/SIZE]
                  <<< Please [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]donate[/URL] >>>

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                  Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                  widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X