No announcement yet.

Best Graphics Card for ~$100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i was just about to order the 3850 HD card until i saw some of those cards dont come with the right 4to 6 pic power splitter . Not only that but i think my power is like 300 and that card wants like 450 to run .

Oh if i unplug most of my useless stuff would the card still run? or is 450 the min and have to have atleast that just to power the card?

Comment

Oh if i unplug most of my useless stuff would the card still run?
      Umm, like your hard drives and optical drives ??

Well, you've run into the reason why gamers give up on the PC and go buy a console. A PC has many different hardware pieces to contend with, and an upgrade to one area leaves another as the bottleneck. In your case, the PSU is now your weakest link. A console can't be upgraded, so that is never a concern.
      I think your safe choice would be the 1950 Pro, and knowing that you have a weaker PSU (lower wattage doesn't always mean bad .. we'd need to know the make of the PSU and what it lists on your +12 rail - its listed on a sticker on the side of the PSU) really does rule out the 3850 at this point.
      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

bestec
        model ayx-300-12z rev.: cdr

input: 100-127v 7a, 200-240v 4a 50/60hz

output +12 v
        300 watt max +5 v

+5 & +3.3v 180w max +5v & +12v 288w max

Comment

Originally posted by Premonition
          bestec
          model ayx-300-12z rev.: cdr

input: 100-127v 7a, 200-240v 4a 50/60hz

output +12 v
          300 watt max +5 v

+5 & +3.3v 180w max +5v & +12v 288w max

Iirc the 1950 cards did use quite a bit of power. If it works you'll be scraping the bottom of the barrell.

Comment

Yeah thats what scares me. I figured i could pull some not so needed things like second dvd drive and floppy drive power wires to try and conserve.

I need to go back and look, ive spent hours on hours looking at different card, reading reviews. its either the 1950 or the 3850 HD card that has like a 55nm chipset (or something like that) i read draws very little power compared to other cards.

Is there a chart anyone knows of that shows power usage for cards?

Im really stuck here. if i go the 1950 i might be able to run it. But because of price i might be able to get a power supply. If i go 3850 i cant afford a new power supply and would have to prey it actually draws very little power and will run with my current psu.

Comment

Originally posted by Premonition
              Yeah thats what scares me. I figured i could pull some not so needed things like second dvd drive and floppy drive power wires to try and conserve.

I need to go back and look, ive spent hours on hours looking at different card, reading reviews. its either the 1950 or the 3850 HD card that has like a 55nm chipset (or something like that) i read draws very little power compared to other cards.

Is there a chart anyone knows of that shows power usage for cards?

Im really stuck here. if i go the 1950 i might be able to run it. But because of price i might be able to get a power supply. If i go 3850 i cant afford a new power supply and would have to prey it actually draws very little power and will run with my current psu.

Have you plugged the parts you want into this calculator? This is a link form the Hardware list that is stickied at the top of this section. I am pretty sure it has accurate data on specific cards.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp
              [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
              Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Thanks for the link. i hadnt seen that. But it doesnt list the 3850 card
                But it did list the 1950 and it looks like i can scrape enough juice for it.

The 2900 HD xt i used instead of the 3850 (since it didnt list that) it came at 350 power. Still 50 over what i got.

is there any chance the 3850 might work? aww im probably just order the 1950.... hey its a decent card and a decent price.

Comment

That 288watt max on your power supply is just that, the MAX that you'd want to run on that PC with a new card. Keep in mind, running at maximum will wear it down, and it isn't like its a new unit to begin with.

If you have to buy a cheaper PSU to tide you over, might I recommend this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=2240438
                  Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

the HD 3850's arent anywhere near HD 2900xt's in power consumption.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

Comment

just got a email from new egg with power supply deals.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817171016
                      COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-550-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01 550W Power Supply 110-115V/ 220-230V Nemko, TUV, cUL, CE, BSM, FCC, CCC - Retail

$69.99
                      ($39.99 after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate)
                      3 Business Day Shipping $8.22
                      (Not available in HI, AK and PR)

use coupon code emc1207case01 and take another $30.00 off the price
                      making it $9.99 after rebates and before shipping

Comment

that will do nicely!
                        [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

I just came in to post the same deal, so that is an unbeatable deal on a new PSU ! The +12 rails show 16a an each of two rails, so it looks fine for that price.

Comment

Well Thanks everyone for the help. I went ahead and got the psu that you linked to wt and i also ordered the other psu from newegg. That deal was just to good to pass up and it came at the right time as well. So i got 1 for my son s comp as well as his was only 300 watts also.

so for around $235.00 with shipping i got 2 psu`s and i ordered the x1950pro card from CC as well. But out of the 235 there is $80.00 in mail in rebates and this should get both our pc`s back into shape.

Comment

Nice spot on that PSU deal Prem. That's crazy cheap. Enjoy your new toys.

Comment

Yeah, its to bad you can only get 1 from newegg. I tried to order 2 since it appears the mail in rebate is good for upto 3. But the newegg sales code only applies to 1. Still a great deal and i learned alot the last 2 days.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X