Flashing monitor issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flashing monitor issue

For about the first 2 hours or so that the computer is on every morning, the monitor flashes off then instantly right back on. It shows black for just an instant, but it gets very annoying after awhile. It will flash every 30 seconds, and makes doing anything unbearable.

It has been doing this for several months now, and I'm just now getting around to finding a fix.

I switched monitors to another one in the house and it works perfectly fine, so I figured I could eliminate the video card. I then hooked up the flashing monitor to another computer expecting it to have the same issue, but it works perfectly.

So... any ideas?
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist."
    - Dom Helder Camara

sounds to me just like its going out. i had an old 21" that was doing the same thing. would run good, then every once in a while, just shut off and power back up.

now, this was a CRT monitor, do not know if that is what is troubling you, but even if its not, still sounds like its just going out.

Comment

Yea I would just take advantage of Boxing Day sales and get yourself a nice new 21-23" 1080p LCD for like $150

Comment

Does Dallas Texas celebrate Boxing Day?
        Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
        Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
        I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Around Killeen, Texas, some guys celebrate every Friday night as boxing day, and wrestling day, and jail day.

Flashing CRT monitor - I agree with everybody else that the problem might only get fixed by replacing the CRT. The Best Buy stores here accept old monitors ($10 fee earns a $10 gift card).

Everything below this line is mostly nonsense, but it's maybe possible. It could help narrow the problem, but the symptom sounds complicated. You might choose to ignore all of this.
          - If it's an internal electronics monitor problem, maybe your other location in the house is delivering slightly different power.
          - Due to corrosion/other, the signal cable plug and video card socket might not be connecting the same in the alternate PC as it is in the problem PC.
          - Symptoms often emerge after a change. Although it started months ago, maybe you remember updating video drivers or make other PC tweaks at that time?
          - You can try setting different refresh rates, resolutions, & power saving options (checking whether anything changes the symptom).
          - You can uninstall the video drivers and check for the symptom. Windows XP will use it's own basic drivers.

Comment

It isn't a CRT, just fyi.

Thanks all for the suggestions! I just can't get myself to say it is a dying monitor yet, because it is the same everyday. It's almost like there is a "warm up" time for the first few hours, then everything is perfectly fine the rest of the day.
            "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist."
            - Dom Helder Camara

Comment

The DVI/VGA cable?

Comment

Try another cable. Is it a Viewsonic brand ?? I've had a Viewsonic that was the same way. I won't buy that brand again.
                Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

It is ViewSonic, and only about a year old too!

I'll try a different DVI cable and see if that helps.
                  - Dom Helder Camara

Comment

So I work in support.. granted may be a bit more reserved with my problem solving steps as we can just go out and replace whatever is bad but..

1) Reseat all cables
                    2) Make sure cables are pinched/chewed on/whatnot
                    3) Recycle power
                    4) Make sure its not running at something like 85hz
                    5) Reinstall drivers possibly, usually never do this though

If all that doesn't work, swap monitors
                    - Does replacement monitor work fine with the original cables from first monitor? -> If yes, bad monitor.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                    Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                    widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X