Hard Drive deal on Newegg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Drive deal on Newegg

Ok, I have a TB right now, but I'm down to about 150 GBs already. I was gonna just buy another one of my WDHD's at 1TB, when I found this sucker:

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I've asked my friends what they think, and we all feel hesistant. One, I've observed the larger drives tend to have more problems. Two, the poor reviews are a bit unnerving.

On the other hand, it's cheap per TB. The brand has been good to me. Most of the bad reviews were people using it in RAID, and then violating warranty. Warranty is 3 years.

Looks like a good storage drive. Note that it is a 5400rpm drive, not a big deal but just saying.

I tend to go for the Caviar Black since they get the 5 year warranty but that is a great price for 2TB
    Motivate

Comment

5400 noted. It's mostly gonna be for storing 1080p movies, my music, and projects. I have a 7200 TB for games.

The black series wasn't on sale

Comment

Black series only. I don't even bother with any other WD drives. I have one of the infamous 1.5tb Seagate drives and its running just fine in my HTPC, so sometimes its worth the gamble, especially since the firmware issues with the Seagate driver were early in the run, not later when I bought mine.

I am now buying WD Black drives for any of my builds. Personal preference, but the newer 1tb-2tb drives are as fast as the original Raptor 10k 75/150gb drives.
        Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Happily running a Green drive in my HTPC for storage. It's cool, quiet and speedy. There absolutely no need whatsoever to buy anything faster for storage imo.

Buy it. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

I was hopping it was an external drive. My 3TBs are running out fast. I'm not gonna lose 2TBs worth of data either. That's nuts.

Comment

so i gotta ask.. what the hell do you hgave that you only have like 150 gb left? i think if i added all my HD's together, i still dont even have 500gb. No trying to pry or be noisy,, just curious is all. I also think its funny that like 5 years ago, i paid more than that for an 80 gb.

Comment

juneau, thanks, you are considered a very reliable source in my world.

I have about 50 1080p movies right now, a couple TV show seasons, and a bunch of my older games I haven't even installed yet (ISOs). I always have a good 40 gigs of music built up from the days before napster and limewire were what they are today.

That's just what I have, then there's so many more of the above media types that I have yet to transfer. And I'm not really counting on filling this drive fully anytime soon (though I could, my friends all have about 5TBS), it was more that I saw a deal on Newegg, 70$/TB, solid reviews from a company I know, and it made sense to me.

When it comes to my computer, I rarely buy the best, but I do buy for longevity. I still use a P43 chipset in my motherboard, but splurged a bit for the Radeon 4890 (before this 5000 line was out).

Comment

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comment

????

Comment

Comment

So from my understanding, these WD’s GreenPower is just quiter and cooler running?

Comment

They are slower, so they use less energy, are quieter, and cooler.

For storage purposes, a green should be fine. For your main HDD, I'd go with WT and get the Black.
                          [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

I have the old Green drive for storage... WD10EAVS and it is an awesome drive....just wish I could find more of them. Ill have to go for 2 or 3 WD10EADS now and run them in RAID. They are selling for $90 here

Comment

I use a green for my main as well. It's just at 7200 RPM. I don't feel like it's any slower and it really is quiet, I mean I keep the fans on low, and I they're the loudest thing in my computer.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X