cpu questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cpu questions...

okay. i got an ecs nforce4-A939 motherboard that has been outstanding so far for the past 3-4years and haven't got any problems with it. but now that most newer games are asking for most 2core recommend. i feel left out. so i been looking around if i can upgrade the cpu with a socket of 939 to a duel core one. dont know much about this stuff, so i ask you guys if its possible of upgrading just the cpu and not doing a mobo+cpu combo upgrade as im short on cash and it seen more of a hassle to do.

if there are any, recommendations?
    Hit 'em like comic books, kaboom! pow pow!

If I rember you can but a duel core 939 cpu cheap your best bet check on ebay for one.

Comment

Socket 939 a pretty old socket... AMD doesn't even make that mobo with that socket anymore and thus that CPU line has be retired. E-bay would be your best bet at finding a 939 CPU but I just did some quick searching on Google shoping and the ones there are expensive and insufficient... so a new mobo + CPU might be your best result

Comment

You will be in for some serrriooous sticker shock when you start looking for a dual core 939 CPU. I mean, seriously, it is inSANE what they are going for.

Don't be surprised to see $75-100 for a simple 4400+ dual core 939. Then if you are feeling bad about that, compare it to the price of a same speed AM2 chip !

I have a 4200+ DC chip on a Gigabyte 939 board and it would greatly benefit me to sell it parted out on flEbay and buy a much faster e5200 Intel chip on a garden variety 775 board.

Sorry for the bad news, but it is what it is, and those dual core 939 chips are worth their weight in silicon gold now.

Edit: quick search nets me this combo for $135 that will toast that poor AMD chip:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Dual-Core-...item414514d1cd
        Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

ughh i was afraid of this and why are these cpu chips so pricey now. thought they would be cheap, i think i better off buying an i7. i was also thinking just get one for a few months till i have more cash but guess not. i give up.

Comment

Best bet may be to scour CraigsList in your area and find an AMD chip that the seller doesn't know much about, or even a for sale forum such as HardOCP or Anandtech.

I've bought from them a good bit and even tho its used gear, its usually half price of what it goes for on flEbay.

Found this one: http://richmond.craigslist.org/sys/1394381126.html
            Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Looks like you are in the same situation I was in a few years ago. There was no reason to upgrade because the cpu's cost more than faster, newer ones. And I didn't really have the money to upgrade the motherboard, cpu, and in my case video card also(agp to pci-e).I just had to sit tight and wait till I had the money to do it all.

An i7 base setup is pretty expensive atm, especially with RAM prices going through the roof.
              Motivate

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget View Post

Edit: quick search nets me this combo for $135 that will toast that poor AMD chip:
                http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Dual-Core-...item414514d1cd

For 4 dollars more you can have an actual Core2Duo instead of a dual core
                Micro Center - G31 mATX Motherboard Core 2 Duo E7400 Bundle
                [img]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/Sniper1515/sniper1515sigzp8.jpg[/img]

"A guy at work bought a car out of the paper. Ten years later, Bam! Herpes"

Comment

Yet another deal to mull over:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.271915

Know what makes it even better ??? This is a 45nm processor and has been unlocking to four cores with the right motherboard. This is the right motherboard. Success rate is about 66%+ so far on the unlock from 2 to four cores.

Comment

As all the above. Definitely go new. The only time you can really pick up a bargain with CPU's is when they've just become EOL. After that the demands goes through the roof and the price sky rockets.
                    Last edited by juneau; 21 Oct 2009, 10:43 PM.

Comment

if a decide to get a mobo+cpu combo, i also need to get new rams, hd n psu as well. seen like a new built but not entirely what i want. just gonna put this on hold and save more cash to built my dream machine (hopefully) and come back ask ya for help. thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by RuThLeSsKiLLa View Post
                        if a decide to get a mobo+cpu combo, i also need to get new rams, hd n psu as well. seen like a new built but not entirely what i want. just gonna put this on hold and save more cash to built my dream machine (hopefully) and come back ask ya for help. thanks all.
                        Ahh good news, be sure to post up a few pics of those shiny new parts.
                        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                        widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X