Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flashing? my bios

asus p5n-e sli bios

they above is my mobo. Since ive had it, almost a year now, i get the msg at startup " unknown cpu detected, update bios to unleash its full potential". No, my machine is great, so its not a complaint, but man, could it be better?
    On the asus disk i got, in the directions, it shows that there is an auto updater, i do not have it, so i am forced to DL a file, and then update,, how does one actually do this?
    Since we are messing with my bios, i am nervous, thats wher i am an ametuer and i just dont know enough to be comfortable enough to go in and mess around. Now if i run a bios update, is it really as easy as just selecting the file a downlaoded? or is ther more to it?

I wrote this in a hurry as i am about to step out to eat with the grandpa. Ask questions as i am sure i botched the typing big time. otherwise ill look for some replys when i get back as you guys are quick at the lair.

http://support.asus.com/technicaldoc...nt.aspx?no=714
    Click the link to get the Asus Updater.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

word

Comment

Don't uses ASUS Updater. It has never worked for me.

Most ASUS boards allow you to update the BIOS from within the BIOS Setup utility. You download the new BIOS ROM image from ASUS' website, put it on a USB key, and go into setup. I believe the setup option is called EZ FLASH. I am not at home right now, so I don't remember what setup screen it is on. You will need to remember the name of the BIOS image file. I have used this option quite a bit with my P5N32E-SLI.

Hope this helps.
        [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

I have never had a problem using the Asus Updater.
          I have the Rampage Extreme Motherboard.
          Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

my version of the updater is old, and does not allow an update over the internet option. i downloaded the .bin and just used update from file. bang, it worked. yay

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
              Don't uses ASUS Updater. It has never worked for me.

Most ASUS boards allow you to update the BIOS from within the BIOS Setup utility. You download the new BIOS ROM image from ASUS' website, put it on a USB key, and go into setup. I believe the setup option is called EZ FLASH. I am not at home right now, so I don't remember what setup screen it is on. You will need to remember the name of the BIOS image file. I have used this option quite a bit with my P5N32E-SLI.

Hope this helps.
              +1 against ASUS Updater

I wouldn't use any Windows apps for flashing the BIOS. Things can go wrong a lot more often. Use a USB key or Floppy and boot from it.

Comment

no usb, and i have no floppy on my rig, i got lucky, but i agree, and having the stuff on a flash is probably the best. looks like i have something to go buy .

Comment

This is a subject that pisses me off to no end. Whenever I need to bios update I need to find a damn DOS disk to to run there bios app. I may not be running a windows system. Like what... a programer can't get the linux open source and make a damn linux based bios flash installer.

Comment

I always us the USB Stick to flash my Asus Boards

Comment

Updated many times using windows updater , never had problem. And i am talking for years. And i personal doesnt know ANYONE who had one.

Comment

I don't know what this says about me but every time I see the thread heading my my mind reads "Flashing My Boobs".

Comment

Originally posted by JohnyRico View Post
                          I don't know what this says about me but every time I see the thread heading my my mind reads "Flashing My Boobs".
                          Let's hope Infamous is ok with that then eh?

Comment

Why he wouldn't be? First he have to update Asus updater to the latest version, then to find the latest BIOS form their FTP server and just flash it. Simple as that. i've done it many times. never fail. 3 different MoBo's. Its user friendly no hassle at all.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                            Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                            widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X