svchost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

svchost?

Hey CLR.I got a big problem.My cpu is running super slow.I checked the problem i see this program svchost is running like 10 times or more and taking like between 50-to 100k kbps.I checked to see if it was a virus so i ran a full system scan with with Norton,i don't and i even defrag as well,didnt fix it.I have Windows Vista 64-bit,can someone help me?

svchost is the 'parent' program for your windows services.

If you know how, have a look in your services list, see if any 'new and unsual' things have appeared.

If you cant see anything strange, have a look at this
    Process Explorer

download that, hover over the large usage one, and it will tell you what service is eating up.
    It wont narrow it to one, but it will list what ones is hosting on that process.
    If there is a + hit it, to show what programs it 'running with in it'

I'm not insane. I'm just overwhelming!

·····••••• Support Cainslair. Donate here!•••••·····
    ·····••••• and get extra options! •••••·····

Comment

Everybody has a few of svchost's as Sirex stated. They are an accumulation of services that are titled under one name.

XP uses less than Vista. A lot less in fact.

It can be quite painful to diagnose because svchost in it's own right doesn't give you any clue to what it actually is.

Download the app that Sirex gave a link to and it should clear this up.

Few questions though. Is it like this directly after a fresh boot? Have you ran anything like Spybot Search and Destroy? Svchost is one thing that spyware and viruses love to clone.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
        Everybody has a few of svchost's as Sirex stated. They are an accumulation of services that are titled under one name.

XP uses less than Vista. A lot less in fact.

It can be quite painful to diagnose because svchost in it's own right doesn't give you any clue to what it actually is.

Download the app that Sirex gave a link to and it should clear this up.

Few questions though. Is it like this directly after a fresh boot? Have you ran anything like Spybot Search and Destroy? Svchost is one thing that spyware and viruses love to clone.
        i ran a virus scam wiht norton security 2009,didnt find anything.I ran it about 3 times.yes like when windows loads and after i log in my cpu usage shoots up fast.

Comment

Originally posted by snakeeater11112 View Post
          i ran a virus scam wiht norton security 2009,didnt find anything.I ran it about 3 times.yes like when windows loads and after i log in my cpu usage shoots up fast.

A cpu spike when you login is normal.

Comment

Originally posted by snakeeater11112 View Post
            I didn't mention norton.

Comment

Here is an excellent bit of info on isolating exactly what service is causing svchost to max out like that.

Auslogics Blog How to Stop svchost.exe High CPU Usage
              [IMG]http://thepebkac.net/images/sigs/Outdoors_sig.jpg[/IMG]
              Like the community? Donate here:
              [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                I didn't mention norton.
                I hate norton and Mcaffe personaly i have found their inadequacy rediculous and i now refuse to use them they seem to work as well as the free ones out there(to lazy to google for a link).
                Lol just checked i dont have this thing running a prosses at all, i must've dpne something about it before.

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin_Jack View Post
                  I hate norton and Mcaffe personaly i have found their inadequacy rediculous and i now refuse to use them they seem to work as well as the free ones out there(to lazy to google for a link).
                  Lol just checked i dont have this thing running a prosses at all, i must've dpne something about it before.
                  You've got to have. Scvhost is a needed process.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                  Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                  widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X