X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rand{CLR}
    Originally posted by random_id
    Ignore the articles. A 8800 sucks down most of that 375 watts by itself when it's running full force. You need more power if you're going to upgrade to that model card.

-Rand
    I don't know what you're talking about but my whole system with a previous 8800 card (8800GTS, heavily overclocked) never consumed more than 250w of power at full load, at ANY game I've tried. That is an actual fact tested with a power consumption meter that I have.
    And here's another test of a system (all of the components, not only video card) power consumption which used an actual power consumption tool to do the test (instead of using theoretical figures):
    Maybe you just have a particularly eco-friendly system?
    -Rand
    Far from it I have an overclocked and over-volted AMD X2 CPU which idles at about 50C degrees even with an after-market cooler on it (I like quietness so I keep all teh fans at lowest RPM's) and I have a couple of power-hungry (which also get very warm) WD Raptor drives, plus the "usual" stuff like 4 GB's of RAM, the stand-alone (Audigy2) soundcard and stuff like this

Comment

Originally posted by Kyler721
      That is exactly what I thought...AAAHHHHH too many conflicting arguments
      Just get one of these:
      http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=373100
      It's modular (good for case ventilation), uses all Japanese-made capacitors, has good warranty and will power ANY 8800-series card you'll ever want to use. Here's a review of this thing:
      http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=28

And removing your old PSU is very easy - just unscrew 4 screws and disconnect all teh cables that go from PSU, then remove it from the case. Here's detailed instructions in case if you really need them (did you know that Dell provides instructions on how to remove/replace hardware for most of their systems?):
      http://support2.jp.dell.com/docs/sys....htm#wp1468921

Comment

So what have we agreed on? New power supply or not? If a new PSU, need one I could find IN STORES (best buy, frys, pc club, circut city, etc.) Thanks for all your help guys.

If I do get a new power supply, because I have absolutely no confidence in myself to open my computer and make changes in the insides, would you be willing to walk me through it once I get a new PSU (if that is what we have agreed on)?

-Kyle
        We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

I dunno what you have against online stores but I think Fry's should have Corsair PSU's... Same goes for PC Club. As for whether upgrade it or not - it is really up to you. I would upgrade for the reasons I've said before (in fact, that is what I did with my old 450w Enermax PSU even though it was perfectly working). As for upgrade process - it is really, REALLY easy, the connectors have a "fool-proof" shapes and you just have to remember what components you need to connect to your PSU (if you can't remember - use a digital camera or a pen+paper to draw a diagram ).

Comment

I dunno what you have against online stores...
            Don't forget that here at Cain's Lair, we have all ages and a wealth of backgrounds. Could be too young for a credit card (and family not willing to use), or just not willing to use one himself. Buying online is a bit rough without a CC.

-Rand
            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

One thing to keep in mind here is that each PSU has a percentage rating of efficiency, with cheaper models offering up 70-72% and the higher end stuff reaching 80+% efficiency.
              What that means is that a 500w PSU will run at that percentage of its rated output. It will not happily pump out 500 watts all day long to your PC. It will not deal with voltage irregularities, whether they be spikes or dips, when it is maxed out. That is why we as a group always recommend you buy more than what you expect to need.
              If I convince you to 'cheap' it and get by on a Thermaltake 430w unit and in three months you start having oddball shutdowns ingame after an hour of gaming, we then need to examine whether that PSU is now a factor in those shutdowns. Regardless of whether it worked for 3+ months fine, you can not rule it out, as there are variables in a PC current load that over time can cause weird lockups.
              If you were to buy a higher end model, I'd safely assume that the PSU is not a problem based on its higher performance rating and efficiency. So, back to my 500w PSU running at 75% ... it is now effectively a 375w PSU !! Do the math ... it is always a better decision to buy more than what you need to rule out any oddities.

If you do want to try the stock PSU, it won't overvolt the card and damage it. It just won't run it consistently. I would at least give it a try, but count on having some weird issues that can easily be attributed to a weak PSU by the time you are done testing it.
              Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

I dunno what you have against online stores...
                Don't forget that here at Cain's Lair, we have all ages and a wealth of backgrounds. Could be too young for a credit card (and family not willing to use), or just not willing to use one himself. Buying online is a bit rough without a CC.

-Rand
                you guessed right...don't have a credit card, and my Dad does not exactly like the idea of messing with my computer, especially after my last problem.

Comment

Well since I'm a Fortron Source fanboy, I would suggest getting anything fortron (FSP group).

Anything here really:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ame=301+-+400W
                  [img]http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/120/latinsigsj0.jpg[/img] [img]http://sigs.2142-stats.com/BenKenobi_player_7511.png[/img] [img]http://www.ronpaul2008.com/img/public_banners/hope-banner1.gif[/img] [url=http://www.cainslair.com/paypal2Cain.htm/]
                  You will donate to Cain's. Now.[/url]

Comment

I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING!?!?!?!

Dell, being the idiots they are, does not put a slot for a PSU power switch on their cases. This means that the PSUs that I have been looking at would not work, because there is no hole in the back of the case for the PSU switch. Suggestions...and it cannot be get a new computer, get a new case, or buy something online, because I do not have a credit card.

Comment

I think your probably looking at the PSU it self, not the back of the case. Dell doesn't put on off switches on their PSUs.

Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Originally posted by Devilguns
                        I think your probably looking at the PSU it self, not the back of the case. Dell doesn't put on off switches on their PSUs.

EXACTLY!!!!!

That is the problem, because the ones that I see in the store, have on and off switches on them, and there in no hole in the case for it.

Comment

kyle, the ones you see in the store will fit perfectly. the spot that you plug your power cord into is the physical back of you PS. the metal with the vent holes comes out of your PC. did you read the link to Dells sight showing how to replace the PS, if not, you should.

Comment

Originally posted by drunken_chef
                            kyle, the ones you see in the store will fit perfectly. the spot that you plug your power cord into is the physical back of you PS. the metal with the vent holes comes out of your PC. did you read the link to Dells sight showing how to replace the PS, if not, you should.
                            PC club man...PC club

Comment

Dell, being the idiots they are, does not put a slot for a PSU power switch on their cases. This means that the PSUs that I have been looking at would not work, because there is no hole in the back of the case for the PSU switch. Suggestions...and it cannot be get a new computer, get a new case, or buy something online, because I do not have a credit card.
                              Ye olde redneck style.....cut a hole.

Comment

Originally posted by mapes

Ye olde redneck style.....cut a hole.
                                figured out that the power supply is the back of the metal

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X