Kinda funny collary to my Last Weekend post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinda funny collary to my Last Weekend post

So I thought I'd post this in here since this is where the technophiles hang out. Well last weekend my wife ran in the Sand Diego marathon. Our flight got in around 3:00. After checking into our hotel we had to go to the SD expo center so my wife could pickup her paper work.

Getting a cab was difficult cause well 30k other people were trying to do the same. So we ask the concierge and he says two cabs are in route. He points to a young couple and says they're first. My wife walks up to them and asks where they're going. It turns out they're going close to the expo center and they're nice enough to share a cab with us.

So we're on the 30 minute ride to the expo center and we're talking with this other couple. You know standard conversation. What do you do etc... Well it turns out this guy is the product manager for Monster Cables HDMI line of products.

At this I can barely contain myself ...Cause well I have two things to say. One is "Bummer that you guy's renamed Candlestick park to Monster Park and now everyone thinks it was named after Monster Jobs". and Two... "Man how can you guy's sell 100 dollar HDMI cables?" "I mean it's a digital Signal...either you get it or you don't and spiff 100 dollar cable don't help one way or another". too the guy's credit he didn't try to BS me. He just shrugged and said "Hey people wanna buy em". LOL

Originally posted by mapes View Post
    "I mean it's a digital Signal...either you get it or you don't and spiff 100 dollar cable don't help one way or another". too the guy's credit he didn't try to BS me. He just shrugged and said "Hey people wanna buy em". LOL

Thats interesting actually. My wife and I bought a 40in 1080p Toshiba tv this spring. I bought a cheap Dynex (best buy brand) hdmi cable which is 4 ft long for about 35 bucks. But when watching Blue rays the video takes a long time to load for some reason. I was under the impression that the hdmi cable makes a difference. I was going to buy a Rocketfish cable (also at BB) but its almost twice the price of the Dynex - the Monster cables were about 3-4 times as much.

Is something wrong with my PS3? Or is it the HDMI cable?
    [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbatc View Post
      Thats interesting actually. My wife and I bought a 40in 1080p Toshiba tv this spring. I bought a cheap Dynex (best buy brand) hdmi cable which is 4 ft long for about 35 bucks. But when watching Blue rays the video takes a long time to load for some reason. I was under the impression that the hdmi cable makes a difference. I was going to buy a Rocketfish cable (also at BB) but its almost twice the price of the Dynex - the Monster cables were about 3-4 times as much.

Is something wrong with my PS3? Or is it the HDMI cable?
      HMDI cables making a disc take longer to load?!?!?!?! You got to be kidding! It's a Blu-ray thing. They load items into the systems memory before playing. The PS3 used to be one of the fastest for load times however some standalones have closed that gap and surpassed it.

The only way to get super quick loading is via a PC. However Blu-ray and PC's suck.

Comment

You will get better signal to noise ratio on the better/higher priced cables, which may translate to a better picture or audio. Better shielding and cable construction can affect those things in an HDMI cable, I don't think Monster needs to charge what they do, but you typically do get better signals than from the generic crap that the stores sell. Plus check what they're rated for. Some HDMI cables are only rated to carry a 720p signal.
        [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
        [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper110 View Post
          You will get better signal to noise ratio on the better/higher priced cables, which may translate to a better picture or audio. Better shielding and cable construction can affect those things in an HDMI cable, I don't think Monster needs to charge what they do, but you typically do get better signals than from the generic crap that the stores sell. Plus check what they're rated for. Some HDMI cables are only rated to carry a 720p signal.

I completely disagree. It is a digital signal. Meaning the signal is encoded in binary (with a CRC or checksum appened) and sent over the wire. The only thing possible that a higher priced cable will prevent is possible corruption of the data stream from outside interference via better shielding. That is the beauty of digital.

Comment

Well I don't know alot about it, and also this happens with standard DVD's - the picture won't display for like a few minutes. Sometimes if I turn off the tv then back on it will finally display. What may be wrong?
            [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Its slower for dvd's cause the Bluray Player is basically a PC. So it has to load crap, i'm sure theres an MS OS stuffed in there somewhere that screws things up. Also the player should be able to up-convert those dvd's so they will load slower but should look better.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbatc View Post
                Well I don't know alot about it, and also this happens with standard DVD's - the picture won't display for like a few minutes. Sometimes if I turn off the tv then back on it will finally display. What may be wrong?
                That sounds like a handshaking issue.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                  That sounds like a handshaking issue.
                  HDCP you think? Damn DRM

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                  widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X