Let's Play: Spend My Money!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's Play: Spend My Money!

Well my brother's computer has become very outdated, and he is looking to replace it. He isn't a hardcore gamer, so I don't need anything top-of-the-line, but he does play a few games like Flight Simulator.

Budget : $500-600
    What parts? : CPU, MB, RAM, Video card
    (already have a case, hard drive, all other peripherals)

Well, get going!
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist."
    - Dom Helder Camara

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist."
    - Dom Helder Camara

Comment

The main question is, if his PC is very outdated, what is his PSU like? Outdated i presume and not able to handle a new spec.

Comment

We aren't going to be using the same case/PSU as he is currently using. We recently purchased those for a rig that got stuck in planning, and so we can use them for this one.

- Dom Helder Camara

Comment

So what PSU is it?

Comment

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
            - Dom Helder Camara

Comment

That's a solid PSU for the parts I listed
              [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbatc View Post
                That's a solid PSU for the parts I listed
                Yup.

Just switch the graphics card from the 9800GT to this.

Newegg.com - MSI R4850-2D512-OC Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Comment

I tried to put together an AMD setup to top this, but it isn't looking too good, so I'll go with whats already been listed.

The 8400 is a great choice and a top performer in the bang for the buck, so I'd also side with Juneau and go with the 4850 for the vid card.
                  Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Well I guess I'm just used to Flight Sim X - and ATI cards suck for FSX...

I spose for any other "real" game the ATI card would be better

Comment

I would change the Cpu to a Intel Core2Quad Q6600 because they have really droped in price if you have the cash.

Comment

Ok, thanks all! I will look more into it this weekend when I got some time.

- Dom Helder Camara

Comment

yeah but the clock speed of the Q6600 is going to give you less performance than the E8400

Plus you'll be able to overclock the E8400 better than the Q

Even if you were attempting to "futureproof" I would not do it with a Q6600, you'd want to go Core i7 for quads. And that's moola

Comment

I oc my old q6600 to 3.4 without a problem but I found it more easy to oc my I7 920 to 3.4 than I did with the q6600

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                            widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X