Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WMP classic stop responding

hey ppl
    have been haveing issues with my WMP classic (Windows Media Player)
    whenever i play an MP4/h.264 video, it will just stops responding, and freezes
    I have the latest k-lite codec pack
    the videos work with VLC player though
    my question is: is the problem more likely with the video files themselves or the WMP? Are there possibilities that my videos are corrupt?

Are we talking Media Player Classic, or an older version of Windows Media Player?

Keep in mind that Media Player Classic hasn't been updated in almost 3 years for a stable release, so it's probably not going to function as well with newer encoding formats as VLC will.

If you're using Windows Media Player, don't.

When you say it freezes, are we talking just video, or audio as well? Because if I'm playing something while running a resource intensive operation in the background, occasionally VLC will freeze up for me on the video, but not the audio, and requires me to reload.

If VLC will play the files and doesn't detect any corrupt portions, it's not the video.

Without knowing anything further, my guess is that it's media player having the issues.
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

I got that warnign one time and it was because I had a PDA plugged in that had "unknown" Flash memory. It was some kind of DRM thing and it's why I returned my pDA that had Windows Mobile on it.

During my searching the only solution was to unplug the flash memory.
      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

I'm using MPCHC and Coreavc on my htpc. Even if i disable Coreavc and use MPCHC's internal .264 codec it's still all fine.

I think you have a codec problem and not a player problem, I hate codec packs. Unnecessary junk that you don't need.

Comment

thanks guys

trooper, when i say freeze i mean, there is this message saying WMP has stopped responding, and needs to close

juneau, what is MPCHC exactly? media player classic home cinema? what do u recommend instead of codec packs?

Comment

Originally posted by Evilization View Post
            thanks guys

trooper, when i say freeze i mean, there is this message saying WMP has stopped responding, and needs to close

juneau, what is MPCHC exactly? media player classic home cinema? what do u recommend instead of codec packs?
            Yup, home cinema. I recommend either Coreavc, ffdshow, or mpchc's internal .264 decoding. However if you use Coreavc or ffdshow, remember to disable the .264 filters on MPCHC.

My list of codec is this..... and it plays everything.

Coreavc
            ffdshow
            Ac3filter (passthrough)

Comment

Guessing its a codec pack issue. Weren't there issues with K-lite and WMP ??? My Vista WMP doesn't even load up at ALL after I tried a codec pack .. boom, just hangs and I get an error message popup about it and to report it to MS.

Thank God I don't rely on WMP for a darn thing. It works on my HTPC rig and that is the first and only time I have EVER used WMP !!
              Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget View Post
                Guessing its a codec pack issue. Weren't there issues with K-lite and WMP ??? My Vista WMP doesn't even load up at ALL after I tried a codec pack .. boom, just hangs and I get an error message popup about it and to report it to MS.

Thank God I don't rely on WMP for a darn thing. It works on my HTPC rig and that is the first and only time I have EVER used WMP !!
                Is that the classic version? Classic rules all.

Comment

Nah, I am actually using WMP 11 on the HTPC. I hate it with a passion on all of my PCs expect for that one, where it seems that WMP is actually the best choice for what you'd use an HTPC for.

I am just starting to get used to making my own playlists and stuff using it, so again I will stress that I wouldn't use it on an ordinary gamer PC.
                  Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                  widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X