Help Overclocking my Intel I7 920

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Overclocking my Intel I7 920

Hi guys anyone Advise me on Overclocking my MB and CPU my System Specs are Below

Cosair 850 watt PSu
    Asus P6T Deluxe Motherboard
    Intel I7 920 Cpu 2.66
    3 Gig of DDR 3 1600MHz Cosair Dominator Memory
    ATI 4870 X2 Card
    Coolermaster Hyper Z600 CPU Cooler

I have been Told the Cpu with this Board Can be well overclocked so if anyone can gudie me in OC my rig let me know plz

Ghost,

The two most mentioned comments I have seen on OCing the 920 have to do with disabling the Turbo feature and some but not all have disabled HT hyperthreading. Some seemed to leave the HT on if they were not going for agressive clock speeds.

The other key is that only the high end 965 is unlocked. The 920 is not, so most of the increases will come from one adjustment to the multipler. The big jump away from the FSB eliminates that additional worry.

This article was in this month's CPU Magazine and is specific to OCing the 920. Here is the link, but don't know if you can access if not a subscriber. Let me know if you can't and i will send you the text.

Key points:

Making The Mods

All of the modifications that were necessary to overclock our Core i7 920 processor were made from within the system BIOS. We began by disabling Turbo mode and increasing a few key voltages. As we mentioned earlier, Core i7 processors are sensitive to memory voltage, so we only kicked that up to 1.66V. We weren’t planning to push the memory too far, so increasing the memory voltage further wasn’t necessary. Then we raised the CPU core voltage up from its default of 1.25V to 1.35V and gave the QPI voltage a slight bump from 1.15 to 1.18V.

Next, we began to increase the BCLK frequency in 10MHz increments until the system was no longer stable. Throughout the process, we also lowered the memory frequency to keep it running as close to 1,066MHz as possible. We were able to boot into Windows with a BCLK frequency of 193MHz, which resulted in a 3.86GHz CPU clock (20 x 193MHz), but the system wasn’t completely stable. It would boot into Windows, but some benchmarks, such as Cinebench, would crash to the Desktop. So, we slowly began lowering the base clock and ultimately settled on a BCLK of 190MHz, producing an even 3.8GHz CPU clock. At these speeds, our memory was running at 1,140MHz, and the QPI frequency was at 6.8GTps.

The Final Countdown

A final clock speed of 3.8GHz was an increase of approximately 1.1GHz over the Core i7 920 processor’s default frequency and well above the Core i7 965 Extreme’s default clock of 3.2GHz. That is an excellent overclock for a brand new CPU using a stock cooler. Keep in mind, as the Core i7 matures, higher clock speeds may be possible; a more powerful cooler would have likely improved our immediate results, as well. Of course, there’s no guarantee that every Core i7 920 processor will overclock as well as ours, but early indicators show a lot of promise. With that said, 3.2 to 3.4GHz should be a very real possibility for most chips, which would put this $300 CPU on par with Intel’s best.

Computer Power User Article - Intel Core i7 920 Overclocking

a few other interesting articles on the subject:

[H] Enthusiast - Intel Core i7 920 Overclocking and Heat

Editor's Corner: Overclocking Core i7 : - Review Tom's Hardware

Comment

Ty BlackArrow that will be great and ty gain

Comment

You may want to check out the EVGA forums too. I know you have an Asus board but you may find some good info there.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=...1&key=&#642527
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Ok i have the Cpu overClocked Now to 3.2ghz by changing one setting in the bios

This How I did it

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Ov [...] or/?page=4

For overclocking on your board just get in to the bios (pressing del button on post)
          Go to ai tweaker menu and change overclocking option from auto to manual. Then just raise your bclk from def 133 to 166 and leave the rest on auto. This way you will get to 3.32ghz and when turbo kicks in 3.48ghz.

Comment

make sure u run Prime95 or some other Stress Test program for a few hours to make sure the CPU can handle the jump....Run Everest in the background to monitor temps etc

Comment

Originally posted by Zantheus View Post
              make sure u run Prime95 or some other Stress Test program for a few hours to make sure the CPU can handle the jump....Run Everest in the background to monitor temps etc
              I did the stress test for 12 hours and np

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X