Network Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Question

So I have a huge house that we are in now. It took over 100 feet of Cat 5 to go from the Modem location to the office. Long Story, but it is not really a good idea to move the modem from the front of the house to the back of the house.

There are 3 internet inputs required at the front, and an additional 4 required at the back of the house, total of 7 needed. (convenient I think)

I have one wireless router, and my office sent over another 4 port router when I started there (new in box).

My question is -- how do I network them together without creating a mess? It has been nearly 8 years since I have done this and I am scratching my head and a little bit irritated. I used to do this for a living and now I cant handle a basic interconnect question....

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
    So I have a huge house that we are in now. It took over 100 feet of Cat 5 to go from the Modem location to the office. Long Story, but it is not really a good idea to move the modem from the front of the house to the back of the house.

There are 3 internet inputs required at the front, and an additional 4 required at the back of the house, total of 7 needed. (convenient I think)

I have one wireless router, and my office sent over another 4 port router when I started there (new in box).

My question is -- how do I network them together without creating a mess? It has been nearly 8 years since I have done this and I am scratching my head and a little bit irritated. I used to do this for a living and now I cant handle a basic interconnect question....
    The only way I figure you can get close would be to put the wireless router up front with the modem, set options on this router as you normally would. Run your Cat5 from one of the ports to the back of the house, plugging it into one of regular ports on the wired router. You can't use the WAN port on this router without causing major problems. In setup for this router, disable Local DHCP Server and DNS Proxy. You now have 3 up front, and 3 in back and some wireless. I can't think of any other way without more equipment.

Comment

If you already have a wired router get an access point instead. It will connect your wireless computers to your wired network. Both wired and wireless will be able to see each other.

Wireless N: Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Access Points/Wireless-N (802.11n)/WAP4410N

Wireless G: Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Access Points/Wireless-G (802.11g)/WAP54G
      I use this in my store and it works great.
      Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
      Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
      I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Really depends on your needs. you could do a couple of things

Yeah you could add an access point and route a cable far enough to get coverage on one side of the house and use the router for the other.

However since your running a cable from one side to the other you might as well get a long cable and a switch. Plug one end of the cable into the router and run the cable to the other end of the house and plug in the switch. Effectively making a house backbone

If you want Hammy I have a CAT5 crimping tool and cable tester you can borrow. I can bring it into work since I'm in SJ. Hell I might have a 100 feet of cat5e you'd just need to crimp the ends after pulling cable. It's not that hard.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
        Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
        widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X