X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gamer Shockley
    Thats a really good question. I'm no sure... and I live here in America, and know these women.

Then again... People also try to take a concept of freedom to new levels just so they can be different. Thats the only thing I dislike about where I live at... everyone insists on being different and unique. They fail to realize they're own significance, and try to make a false one, using whatever means necessary.

This a sad thing, but true.

Just goes to show that you should never let someone else's opinion falter your own.
    I didn't mean for it sound closed minded, since I DO promote freedom of religion.

I just know people here that were born and raised Christian, and change over time just to be different.

We're I live at in the US you seldom see people change their religion for actual personal benefit.

I am Christian, and even though I would promote someone to become Christian, I would tell them to follow their heart, and try to show the true good side of my religion. I don't go to church, yet I am one of the most spiritual people you will ever meet. I don't believe in organized religion since it only leads to problems, and therefore I am Nondenominational.

Personally in my belief as Christian, God sees and will judge you for who you are and the acts you do, not wither you go to church.
    If i get what you mean, I have seen things very similar here as well. Many people who are in the teens will often jump to different causes / religions trying to find their way, and often, simply trying to be different. I don't mean to generalize, I'm just speaking for what I have done and seen. At least it shows an openess to looking at something new. You won't often find "older" people who switch or are as quick to jump. Happens, but not as often.

On the flip side, I know many people who are adults who refuse to even look at other religions simply because they have always been christian. They refuse to acknowledge that there could be another way of thinking, and then we all go to war (exageration, but you get my point).

You have all types of people in this world. And I also live in Canada, which is typically a bit "free-er" in their way of thinking than many places in the US, so that can also factor into my way of thinking.

I'm just hoping those girls Tony is looking at on those online dating sites aren't these "younger" people who constantly change religions trying to fit in. Not that there is anything wrong with change, just something creepy about them being on the same site as Tony.
    [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
    So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

Originally posted by BigTwinky
      Thats a really good question. I'm no sure... and I live here in America, and know these women.

Then again... People also try to take a concept of freedom to new levels just so they can be different. Thats the only thing I dislike about where I live at... everyone insists on being different and unique. They fail to realize they're own significance, and try to make a false one, using whatever means necessary.

This a sad thing, but true.

Just goes to show that you should never let someone else's opinion falter your own.
      I didn't mean for it sound closed minded, since I DO promote freedom of religion.

I just know people here that were born and raised Christian, and change over time just to be different.

We're I live at in the US you seldom see people change their religion for actual personal benefit.

I am Christian, and even though I would promote someone to become Christian, I would tell them to follow their heart, and try to show the true good side of my religion. I don't go to church, yet I am one of the most spiritual people you will ever meet. I don't believe in organized religion since it only leads to problems, and therefore I am Nondenominational.

Personally in my belief as Christian, God sees and will judge you for who you are and the acts you do, not wither you go to church.
      If i get what you mean, I have seen things very similar here as well. Many people who are in the teens will often jump to different causes / religions trying to find their way, and often, simply trying to be different. I don't mean to generalize, I'm just speaking for what I have done and seen. At least it shows an openess to looking at something new. You won't often find "older" people who switch or are as quick to jump. Happens, but not as often.

On the flip side, I know many people who are adults who refuse to even look at other religions simply because they have always been christian. They refuse to acknowledge that there could be another way of thinking, and then we all go to war (exageration, but you get my point).

You have all types of people in this world. And I also live in Canada, which is typically a bit "free-er" in their way of thinking than many places in the US, so that can also factor into my way of thinking.

I'm just hoping those girls Tony is looking at on those online dating sites aren't these "younger" people who constantly change religions trying to fit in. Not that there is anything wrong with change, just something creepy about them being on the same site as Tony.
      Oh I don't know. I'd use them if I could meet a chick like the one in Tony's sig...

Comment

Meeting and actually dating are two different things :P

Comment

Meeting and actually dating are two different things :P
          :P

Comment

Hmm, probably didn?t come out right (sorry, I?m french and sometimes have issues getting the right through across).

Many religions promote a way to LIVE your life, with values and morals while others tell you that if you are good (good, by their standards) you will go to heaven and live in bliss for the rest of your life or be bad and you will live a life of torment.

Yes, in essence they all have a ?superior? power who is laying down the law. Whether he is a smiling fat guy, a hippy with a dress or someone without a face. Some have teachings while others have absolute laws/rules.

Make more sense?

I tend to lean towards the secular humanism as well. However, I am so not a fan of having to classify and group everyone into something. Kinda like bands, where this one is classified as retro hippy pop while the other is an acid hillbilly rock.
            Ok I get it now.

Yes I understand the annoyance of over classification. The music analogy is a pretty good fit. It drives me to fits when I rip my music off of CD and use Freedb to tag it and I forget to check the genre field cause invariably it'll have something like urban-ultra-redneck-metal or something equally stupid. How ever the one reason I specifically mention Secular Humanism is the idea of totally rejecting mythical mysticism and other unprovable or intangible's things for reason. It's a strong point for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mapes
              Originally posted by thedeadlyassassin
              I guess people like their ways. I myself am not a religion expert, but suprirsingly (or not) more then 75% of all Arabic immigrants are Christians, and the only explanation that really makes sense was to covert.
              Just out of curiosity where did you get this number of 75% of all Arabic immigrants are Christians? In my dealings with immigrants from Jordan, Assyria, Palestine(yes Palestine) and Saudi Arabia all of them have been Muslim. Not a single one has been a Christian. Obviously my experience is not all inclusive however there is a high number of immigrants from the middle east in the high tech sector (which is where I work). So where did you get that number?
              From a historian that has studied Middle East and religions there for ages. I'm just saying what he's saying.

Comment

Historian name? Book you read it in? Any internet links? Anything?
                Your numbers sound a wee bit off.

Comment

I guess people like their ways. I myself am not a religion expert, but suprirsingly (or not) more then 75% of all Arabic immigrants are Christians, and the only explanation that really makes sense was to covert.
                  Just out of curiosity where did you get this number of 75% of all Arabic immigrants are Christians? In my dealings with immigrants from Jordan, Assyria, Palestine(yes Palestine) and Saudi Arabia all of them have been Muslim. Not a single one has been a Christian. Obviously my experience is not all inclusive however there is a high number of immigrants from the middle east in the high tech sector (which is where I work). So where did you get that number?
                  From a historian that has studied Middle East and religions there for ages. I'm just saying what he's saying.
                  He's right...well sort of 15% of immigrants from the middle east were Christian....In 1970...Currently thats not the case.

From the Center for Immigration Studies

http://www.cis.org/articles/2002/back902.html

The religious composition of Middle Eastern immigrants has changed dramatically over the past thirty years. In 1970, an estimated 15 percent (29,000) of immigrants from the region were Muslim; the rest were mostly Christians from Lebanon or Christian ethnic minorities such as Armenians fleeing predominately Muslim countries. By 2000, an estimated 73 percent (1.1 million) of all Middle Eastern immigrants were Muslim.

Comment

Wow, talk about a misquote, 30+ years old.

Comment

Ummm isn't that what religion is doing...Telling you this is how it is. Be good go to heaven be bad go to hell.....Myself I'm a secular humanist.
                      That's not true either. If what you are saying is true and a person didn't believe in a religion or a god, then they couldn't have any sort of morals. That obviously is not true. There are many responsible, moral atheists out there.

Comment

Re: Why do Americans join Buddism?

Originally posted by Evil Tony
                        I was wondering about this, sometimes I see onlinel dating profiles of women, white, caucasion American women, but when I see their religon it says, "Buddism"

Now why would an American join a religion exclusive to S.E. Asians?
                        Wow, Tony, you stirred up a hornet's nest here with a pretty innocent question.

I can answer your question, then I'm closing this thread.

Those girls are posting that on their profile because they think it sounds cool, to pick a "religion" that sounds exotic and few around here know alot about - I seriously doubt they are truly Buddhists. They are looking to attract someone as flighty as they probably are.

My advice is pick someone who - whatever they believe - they really believe it, and follow its teachings - someone who is not ashamed of their beliefs and is unlikely to change them to sound cool, or contemporary.

Better yet Tony, find a girl in your area through work, or friends or family - with a similar cultural, and socio-economic background to yours !! Or meet a girl who loves science-fiction and computer gaming like you do - she is out there, trust me, in fact - you may already know her !!

Good luck !!

-- Cain

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                        widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X