No announcement yet.

Flu season :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm sounds like you had a bad bacterium goin' around. Bacon was right on about antibiotics not helping with the influenza virus. However, as Premonition said, bacterial infections can give very flu-like symptoms.

BTW the reason docs often say "Take some rest and come back in a week." is because there is currently no way to tell if you have a virus or bacteria. Not much they can do about the virus, but if it doesn't get better after a week odds are its bacteria and -then- they'll give you the antibiotics.

First aside: Today I attended a bioMEMS conference and there was a talk about virus detection. They were saying one way to test if it's a virus or bacteria is by gene expression - it's just a fancy word for how your body is reacting to the thing, but it requires a fairly complicated genetic test. With the new device they're developing they could complete the test in only about 9 hours. If this becomes successful (FDA approval is pending - FDA has never seen anything like this, so they're having to figure out and write the policy on it...), you might not have to have a second visit. You'd get a blood test and the next day your Doc would call and actually be able to tell you what's up.

Second aside: I know it's a pain to do the second visit if it is bacteria, but over-use of antibiotics is why bacteria are evolving at an incredibly dangerous rate. Interesting aside: One of my colleagues is working on a technique to sense bacterial communication. Bacteria aren't resistive until the form a large group (quorum), so the idea is to prevent communication, which breaks the quorum and makes the bacteria much more easy to kill.

Comment

Originally posted by L_Mo

Second aside: I know it's a pain to do the second visit if it is bacteria, but over-use of antibiotics is why bacteria are evolving at an incredibly dangerous rate. Interesting aside: One of my colleagues is working on a technique to sense bacterial communication. Bacteria aren't resistive until the form a large group (quorum), so the idea is to prevent communication, which breaks the quorum and makes the bacteria much more easy to kill.
      And then youve got your friend MRSA The overuse of antibiotics is believed to be a cause of this. From the hand sanitizers to the overuse of antibiotics to even plastics that they put antibiotics in are creating more potent and harmful strains of bacteria. Lots of nasty stuff out there.

Sounds like you're in the medical field too L_Mo
      Delivering bacon goodness one round at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by baconoclock
        Sounds like you're in the medical field too L_Mo
        If only I'm just finishing my master's in electrical engineering focusing on microelectronics. I only know a bit about these topics because people in my group are applying microelectronics to bio/med applications.

Comment

And here's me with 150 flu vaccinations downstairs Seriously I start a vaccination programme next week and I am gonna be sick of the sight of them by Friday. Anyone wants to buy me a ticket I can do house calls And if anyone says the really old chestnut 'just a little p****' I swear it will hurt bad
          Jaspurr

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/vitopagano/jaspurr.jpg[/img]

Comment

I now how you feel deadly Got that stuff last Friday and just now getting over it. I was told it last for about a week My wife works for the school district here in Lumberton and she said it is spreading through out all the school districts like wild fire. I told her yea I know thats why she and my daughter cought it and gave it too me. Next time when one of us gets it we are all going too drink from the same glass so we can get it over with no matter how hard I try too avoid the both of them when they get I still catch it

Any way take care of yourself and get well soon dud

Comment

My old job I had had me working in 40 below zero conditions It was a freezer with artic blast units to help keep ice cream, ice and other foods from thawing out too quick when the sat out on a dock too be loaded on trucks for delivery too the local markets. I always keeped a sinus infection or a upper respitory infection at least 3-4 times a year winter being the worst

Comment

Originally posted by Todd98
                My old job I had had me working in 40 below zero conditions It was a freezer with artic blast units to help keep ice cream, ice and other foods from thawing out too quick when the sat out on a dock too be loaded on trucks for delivery too the local markets. I always keeped a sinus infection or a upper respitory infection at least 3-4 times a year winter being the worst
                And if you left the door open it would snow.
                Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X