X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diamonds are a Sham

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-d...-a-sham-2013-3

You are surprised by this?
    You should see the sales people that sell their customers diamonds and tell them it is an investment. You do not buy diamonds at retail as an investment.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

good article.
      "This post was written by Rohin Dhar. He has a very patient wife"

my favorite line. I wonder how many diamonds she has.

Comment

The good old DeBeers cartel....lock them away and throw away the key. Nothing against engagement rings and wedding bands but diamond prices are nowhere near what they should be.
        [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
        [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Gold either. Speculators have driven the price way up.
          Apache

I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

ok we just all go to copper then

Comment

Inherited Jewelery for the win. Get the sparkles plus a deal!

Really though, my Grandmother gave me her wedding ring before she passed away and it was cleaned up very nicely for my wife. It was made of Platinum and several nice diamonds along the curve. While I couldn't get my wife a matching platinum engagement ring, White Gold matched and so I still ended up getting a 3 diamond+hearts ring. I think the key thing to take from here is for people to get smart. Don't get this ridiculously large diamond ring. Get a more intricate fine metallic ring instead, but don't feed the diamond industry if you can help it. A little less materialism goes a long way, especially in a relationship!
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I do not recommend fine delicate work in gold unless you do not wear it all the time. Gold is soft and delicate and intricate will wear out if worn all the time. Platinum is a denser harder metal and wears better than gold. If you want intricate and or delicate get platinum. Gold typically lasts 10 to 20 years depending on the ring and how much it is worn. Platinum can easily last 75 years under the same conditions. Do not sleep in your jewelry. People toss and turn in their sleep and that is added wear and tear you do not need. Do not bathe in your jewelry either. Soap will dry under stones and make them look dead and dingy. Mineral in water can react with the alloys in your jewelry and cause it to tarnish. Never ever get bleach on your gold jewelry. Bleach will not damage the gold but it will dissolve the alloys. If you do not believe me soak a ring over night in a bleach solution and watch it break into smaller pieces when you pick it up the next day. Even a little bleach over time can weaken a ring. Remember 10K is 41.7% gold 14K is 58.5% gold and 18K is 75% gold. The rest are alloys and depending on the amount and mixture can cause problems. Nickel is one of the worst and is found in white gold. There is no such thing as white gold. Gold is yellow. If you alloy it with white metals it will have a dingy whitish light yellow look. The ring is then Rhodium plated to give it a bright white look. Rhodium is part of the platinum group of metals. The PGM Metals are Platinum, Osmium, Iridium, Ruthenium, Rhodium and Palladium. For the last few years they have started to alloy gold with Palladium to get white gold rings. If your finger turns green you are having a reaction to an alloy in your ring. You especially see this in costume jewelry. If your finger turns black it is makeup. Make up, especially foundations are made up of very fine iron oxides and are abrasive. Always wash your hands after applying makeup and before you put on your jewelry. This is a must especially with pearls. Pearls are organic and can be damaged by chemicals and compounds. Hairspray and makeup are the two worse offenders. Pearls should always be last on and first off.
                Apache

Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

If I ever get married she is getting a plain wedding band.
                  [hlx]

"Why so serious"

Comment

Nice tips Apache. I just copied that into an email and sent it to my wife
                    [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Yes, Thanks for the tips! I too may send this to my wife

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
                      I do not recommend fine delicate work in gold unless you do not wear it all the time. Gold is soft and delicate and intricate will wear out if worn all the time. Platinum is a denser harder metal and wears better than gold. If you want intricate and or delicate get platinum. Gold typically lasts 10 to 20 years depending on the ring and how much it is worn. Platinum can easily last 75 years under the same conditions. Do not sleep in your jewelry. People toss and turn in their sleep and that is added wear and tear you do not need. Do not bathe in your jewelry either. Soap will dry under stones and make them look dead and dingy. Mineral in water can react with the alloys in your jewelry and cause it to tarnish. Never ever get bleach on your gold jewelry. Bleach will not damage the gold but it will dissolve the alloys. If you do not believe me soak a ring over night in a bleach solution and watch it break into smaller pieces when you pick it up the next day. Even a little bleach over time can weaken a ring. Remember 10K is 41.7% gold 14K is 58.5% gold and 18K is 75% gold. The rest are alloys and depending on the amount and mixture can cause problems. Nickel is one of the worst and is found in white gold. There is no such thing as white gold. Gold is yellow. If you alloy it with white metals it will have a dingy whitish light yellow look. The ring is then Rhodium plated to give it a bright white look. Rhodium is part of the platinum group of metals. The PGM Metals are Platinum, Osmium, Iridium, Ruthenium, Rhodium and Palladium. For the last few years they have started to alloy gold with Palladium to get white gold rings. If your finger turns green you are having a reaction to an alloy in your ring. You especially see this in costume jewelry. If your finger turns black it is makeup. Make up, especially foundations are made up of very fine iron oxides and are abrasive. Always wash your hands after applying makeup and before you put on your jewelry. This is a must especially with pearls. Pearls are organic and can be damaged by chemicals and compounds. Hairspray and makeup are the two worse offenders. Pearls should always be last on and first off.
                      Apache
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I will send it around as well Apache.. Thank you.
                        Hmmm I guess if I ever get married I will then hope she has some ones wedding ring to use.

Comment

If you have any questions just ask. I have been doing this for 35 years. I have been a bench jeweler for 35 and have owned my own business for 23.
                          Apache

Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
                            If you have any questions just ask. I have been doing this for 35 years. I have been a bench jeweler for 35 and have owned my own business for 23.
                            Apache
                            If I ever need any rings, I will make sure to visit your shop. Then again I don't really want to get married so I might be in the clear.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
                              If I ever need any rings, I will make sure to visit your shop. Then again I don't really want to get married so I might be in the clear.
                              One day you will need to say "sorry" really, really bad lol

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X