X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada stops distribution of penny coin

Canada stops distribution of penny coin

A handful of other have pulled penny coins out of circulation
    The Canadian penny is being withdrawn from circulation because production costs have exceeded its monetary value.

The Royal Canadian Mint will no longer distribute the coin to financial institutions around the country, but it will remain legal tender.

The government has advised shop owners to round out prices to the nearest nickel (5p) for cash transactions.

Other countries that no longer use the penny include New Zealand, Australia, the Netherlands, Finland and Sweden.

Despite the change on Monday, electronic transactions can still be billed to the nearest cent.

The government has estimated that the coins, which bear the image of Queen Elizabeth II and two maple leaves, cost about C$11m (£7m) each year to make.

The end of the penny has prompted charities around Canada to start penny drives, and some initiatives have been very successful.

Toronto-based Free The Children has already collected 70m pennies, CBC News reports.

That could provide a lifetime of clean drinking water to 28,000 people in developing countries, according to the NGO.

But other organisations, such as Canadian Guide Dogs for the Blind, say they are worried the disappearance of the penny will make it harder to fundraise.

The US Treasury has said the Obama administration has thought about making its one cent coins from a cheaper material - they are currently made of zinc.

We really should do the same thing. But, screw the dollar coin at this point. I don't want to have to carry large amount of those in my pockets (or a large bag of them to the shake joint. )
    --Slaughter

Comment

Slaughter its not bad. It will also save the US taxpaper money over time as well. I think a coin has a life of 25 years while the bill is around 7 years.

Comment

When I was in Canada the Canadians were very vocal in their dislike of the $1.00 coin. They nick named it The Loonie and it was not meant as a complement.
        Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
        Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
        I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

everyone hates changes.... what should be different. I had no problems when I was living in germany. Besides more transactions are going on with credit cards then cash .

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
            Slaughter its not bad. It will also save the US taxpaper money over time as well. I think a coin has a life of 25 years while the bill is around 7 years.
            Walk behind me and hand me coins as I tip those in the hospitality industry; mostly out of desire to help them not report that as income (of which they make not much unless they work in the highest end of establishments). Because otherwise I would need to put that on the debit/credit transaction. Mind you, I am a conservative, but I do realize what a struggle many of those people go through.

Plus, I really don't want to see lovely young ladies with coins bulging from their 'drawers', where they could otherwise stash a wad of bills. (And no, I am not going to start to leave fives or load up on $2 bills)
            --Slaughter

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
              When I was in Canada the Canadians were very vocal in their dislike of the $1.00 coin. They nick named it The Loonie and it was not meant as a complement.
              Apache
              It is their $1 coin that is the Loonie. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loonie
              --Slaughter

Comment

That is what I said.
                Apache

I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Oops.
                  --Slaughter

Comment

I ain't the only one getting old.
                    Apache

Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
                      I ain't the only one getting old.
                      Apache
                      I think you're past old and into ancient now.

Comment

Originally posted by Slaughter View Post
                        Walk behind me and hand me coins as I tip those in the hospitality industry; mostly out of desire to help them not report that as income (of which they make not much unless they work in the highest end of establishments). Because otherwise I would need to put that on the debit/credit transaction. Mind you, I am a conservative, but I do realize what a struggle many of those people go through.

Plus, I really don't want to see lovely young ladies with coins bulging from their 'drawers', where they could otherwise stash a wad of bills. (And no, I am not going to start to leave fives or load up on $2 bills)
                        I can't comment on what they do with coins for the strippers in Europe. Though I did work in a restaurant in Germany at the end of my externship cooking, I worked as a waiter and bar back to get the experience. Coins are no problem and very common place. Waiters had a larger wallet with a place to keep the change during the shift. I doubt any other area in a tipping world would really say no.

PS you are going to the cheap strip clubs where they have Wads of $1 bills hanging out. Its $20 a lap dance in Jersey/NYC places.

Comment

Originally posted by Slaughter View Post
                          It is their $1 coin that is the Loonie. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loonie
                          They still went ahead with it and it states they no longer have a $1 bill. It is also called a loony because on side has a loon on it. Not very hard to choose the name. We just have to faze out the dollar bill instead of pandering to the money printing industry.

Comment

I don't think I'd mind having a $1 coin. Like golden, I lived in Germany for a while, and at the time they had 5 Mark coins. I do think we should get rid of the penny...
                            [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Where are all our Canadian friends... we need their input here.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X