X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada needs cheaper cheese :P

Canada cheese-smuggling ring busted - policeman charged

Only C$20 in dairy is allowed across the border duty-free
    A Canadian police officer was among three people charged as the country's authorities announced they had busted a major cheese-smuggling ring.

A joint US-Canadian investigation found C$200,000 (£125,600) of cheese and other products were illicitly brought over the border into southern Ontario.

The smugglers sold large quantities of cheese, which is cheaper in the US, to restaurants, it is alleged.

The other two men charged were civilians, one a former police officer.

The Niagara Regional Police (NRP) announced the charges in a news release on Thursday.

Constable Scott Heron, 39, a member of the NRP, faces counts of conspiracy, smuggling and other violations of customs law.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

We get all our stuff legit”

Pizzeria owner
    Niagara Falls
    Casey Langelaan, 48, a former member of the police force, and Bernie Pollino, 44, a resident of Fort Erie, face the same charges.

In their statement, Niagara police said an investigation had been ongoing since January 2012. Mr Heron was suspended from the police force in June.

"The network involved the purchasing of cases of cheese and other food items and transporting these cases into Canada, without declaring the items or paying duty," police said.

Once the cases arrived the country, they were distributed to restaurants in southern Ontario.

The accused allegedly made a profit of over C$165,000.

The charges come three days after CBC News first reported the force was conducting an internal investigation into cheese smuggling.

A pizzeria owner west of Niagara Falls told CBC that he had been questioned by police over the issue, but assured them he had not bought any contraband dairy.

"We get all our stuff legit," said the restaurateur. "We thought it was a joke at first. Who is going to go around trying to sell smuggled cheese?"

Only C$20 or 20kg (44lb) of dairy products can be brought into Canada duty free, according to Canadian Border Services Agency spokeswoman Jean D'Amelio Swyer.

Civil penalties for smuggling can amount to 245.5% the value of the product.

Canadian cheese prices are higher because of restrictions by the country's dairy board, as well as tight controls on US imports of cheaper cheese.

A Canadian who did a crime? There is an enormous black hole somewhere because this is out of this world.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
      A Canadian who did a crime? There is an enormous black hole somewhere because this is out of this world.
      Did you not hear of the cannibal of Canada?
      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

This summer we had a very funny crime where I live in Saint-Jérôme. 2 guys stole 1,3 km of railroad tracks... And I'm not speaking about bits of tracks sitting in a yard somewhere, they dismanteled 1,3 km of actual working railroad. That's what I call motivation XD

Comment

Originally posted by Gibzz View Post
          This summer we had a very funny crime where I live in Saint-Jérôme. 2 guys stole 1,3 km of railroad tracks... And I'm not speaking about bits of tracks sitting in a yard somewhere, they dismanteled 1,3 km of actual working railroad. That's what I call motivation XD
          That was harder work than if they had gotten a job.
          Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
          Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X