Mars: Curiosity Mission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mars: Curiosity Mission

My only comment: Wow! Will this rocket science stuff ever get easy?
    ============================================

Challenges of Getting to Mars: Curiosity's Seven Minutes of Terror
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_Af_o9Q9s

A NASA rover is preparing to boldly go to the surface of Mars -- and the landing has been explained in a video by original Star Trek actor William Shatner.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nttnecwEku8

NASA’s coverage of the event is scheduled to begin at 11:30 p.m. (Eastern) Sunday night and go until 4 a.m. Monday morning. The landing itself is scheduled for 1:31 a.m. Monday. Unlike the hour-by-hour video coverage of SpaceX’s historic docking with the international space station, don’t expect gorgeous panorama shots of the planet surface immediately after landing. Curiosity will not feed back video as it goes through its “seven minutes of terror” landing sequence. Instead, NASA’s live coverage will center around non-video telemetry. The first images to reach Earth will be low-resolution black and white images after the rover has landed. The high-resolution, color images are expected to be beamed back 48 hours later, after the main mast deploys.

Hollywood-style Mars landing
    Aug 3, 4:30 PM (ET)
    By ALICIA CHANG
    Skimming the top of the Martian atmosphere at 13,000 mph, the Curiosity rover needs to brake to a stop - in seven minutes.
    After an 8 1/2-month, 352-million-mile journey, here's a step-by-step look at how Curiosity will land:
    _Ten minutes before entering the Martian atmosphere, Curiosity separates from the capsule that carried it to Mars.
    _Turning its protective heat shield forward, it streaks through the atmosphere at 13,200 mph, slowing itself with a series of S-curves.
    _Seven miles from the ground at 900 mph, Curiosity unfurls its enormous parachute.
    _Next it sheds its heat shield and turns on radar to scope out the landing site. Now it's 5 miles from touchdown and closing in at 280 mph.
    _A video camera aboard Curiosity starts to record the descent.
    _A mile from landing, the parachute is jettisoned.
    _Curiosity is still attached to a rocket-powered backpack, and those rockets are used to slow it to less than 2 mph.
    _Twelve seconds before landing, nylon cables release and lower Curiosity. Once it senses six wheels on the ground, it cuts the cords. The hovering rocket-powered backpack flies out of the way, crashing some distance away.

I watched the BBC Horizon special on this a few days ago and when they when through the landing procedure my jaw dropped. That is some incredibly detailed steps the craft has to go through to land safely.

The event can also be watched via Xbox.

Comment

And it landed successfully!

Comment

I wonder how close North Korea and Iran are to such technology?

Comment

photo of the descent.
          BBC News - Photo shows Mars rover descent

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
            That image is amazing!!!

Why o why does so much money get plowed into war and not into this.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
              That image is amazing!!!

Big money lobbyists leading politicians by the nose, who then make stuff up to start the war, and question the patriotism of those against it, etc., etc.

Comment

Awesome !!!!
                ??Click me to donate??

Comment

I think this cost a couple billion

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
                    I think this cost a couple billion
                    That's like half an hour for the pentagon.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                      That image is amazing!!!

Have you seen Battleship? I'd rather not die by an Alien invasion.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
                      Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                      widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X