Best thing i have heard yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best thing i have heard yet

.....From a senior citizen around 80 yrs. of age. We aren't useless yet.

The Fix

There recently was an article in the St. Petersburg , Fl. Times. The Business Section asked readers for ideas on: "How Would You Fix the Economy?" I think this guy nailed it!

Dear Mr. President,

Please find below my suggestion for fixing America 's economy. Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

You can call it the "Patriotic Retirement Plan":

There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new AMERICAN Car. Forty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed.

It can't get any easier than that!!

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members in Congress pay their taxes..

Mr. President, while you're at it, make Congress retire on Social Security and Medicare. I'll bet both programs would be fixed pronto!

If you think this would work, please forward to everyone you know.

If not, please disregard.

40 million over 50 times $1million is 4,000,000,000,000,000 !!!

4 quadrillion! If we had that much we should just divide it by the 400million or so American citizens; giving every man, woman and child $100,000! Families could buy houses and cars, and we wouldn't have to just make old people rich.

Comment

If the Congress would give up their health care it would save lots. You can not buy their health care. it is good in any country, no deductible and they and their spouses have it for life. Ask an insurance agent how much it would cost you to buy the same health care policy that they get.
      Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
      Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
      I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by BadHabitz View Post
        40 million over 50 times $1million is 4,000,000,000,000,000 !!!

4 quadrillion! If we had that much we should just divide it by the 400million or so American citizens; giving every man, woman and child $100,000! Families could buy houses and cars, and we wouldn't have to just make old people rich.
        Uh, dude. Check your math.

The correct answer is $40 million.

-Rand
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Rand{CLR} View Post
            Uh, dude. Check your math.

The correct answer is $40 million.

-Rand
            Huh?

Comment

BadHabitz, You just read it differently.

40 million people ... Pay them $1 million = $40 mill.

Comment

Originally posted by Qicmee View Post
                BadHabitz, You just read it differently.

40 million people ... Pay them $1 million = $40 mill.
                $1,000,000.00 X 40 = $40,000,000.00

$1,000,000.00 X 40,000,000 = $40,000,000,000,000.00.
                Apache

I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

$40,000,000,000,000.00

40 quadrillion

Yup, Bad was pointing in the right direction. That's better. Darn retail math!

Comment

Heh, forgot the first rule of the interwebs--never point out someone's math or grammar error because you inevitably make your own in that post.

-Rand
                    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
                    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

i guess I failed math too

Comment

Now you've confused me. The article wants to give $1mil each to 40mil people.

1 x 4 = 4

1,000,000 = 6 zeroes

10,000,000 = 7 zeroes

meaning the answer is 4 with 13 zeroes; 40,000,000,000,000

Am I wrong somewhere? Or was I proven correct?

Either way, giving extra money to senior citizens isn't the answer. Neither is the government giving money back to citizens.

Instead of giving money to people we should just stop taking it away in the first place. Close business tax loopholes, raise the sales taxes, raise the luxury taxes, eliminate death/inheritance taxes, eliminate income taxes. Also need to put a heavy tax on anything coming from China.

In the end the answer to the economy is not to make 40 million lottery winners

Comment

BadHabitz, Don't be confused! You're okay.

On the math thing, your first answer was "4,000,000,000,000,000". That was a better answer than our suggested revisions.

So, as Apache explained, the suggestion would cost $40,000,000,000,000.00

That's 40 "trillion". And Snopes.com says this was first published in April 2009 "probably to make a point" about large numbers in the news becoming meaningless.

Our economy? Lots of good solutions available. I wish our leaders were able to choose something effective instead of something that seems popular.

Comment

LOL

Just the fact that those large numbers can be so confusing is a good reason to avoid them

Comment

Also, large amounts of money equals lots of chances for others to skim huge sums off the top.
                              Remember the Iraqi Oil for Food Scandal?
                              Apache

Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X