The coolest WWII story I've heard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The coolest WWII story I've heard

A friend of mine suggested I look into Tony Stein who received the MoH for actions on Iwo Jima.

His citation reads...

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Company A, First Battalion, Twenty-Eighth Marines, Fifth Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, in the Volcano Island, February 19, 1945. The first man of his unit to be on station after hitting the beach in the initial assault, Corporal Stein, armed with a personally improvised aircraft-type weapon, provided rapid covering fire as the remainder of his platoon attempted to move into position and, when his comrades were stalled by a concentrated machine-gun and mortar barrage, gallantly stood upright and exposed himself to the enemy's view, thereby drawing the hostile fire to his own person and enabling him to observe the location of the furiously blazing hostile guns. Determined to neutralize the strategically placed weapons, he boldly charged the enemy pillboxes one by one and succeeded in killing twenty of the enemy during the furious single-handed assault. Cool and courageous under the merciless hail of exploding shells and bullets which fell on all sides, he continued to deliver the fire of his skillfully improvised weapon at a tremendous rate of speed which rapidly exhausted his ammunition. Undaunted, he removed his helmet and shoes to expedite his movements and ran back to the beach for additional ammunition, making a total of eight trips under intense fire and carrying or assisting a wounded man back each time. Despite the unrelenting savagery and confusion of battle, he rendered prompt assistance to his platoon whenever the unit was in position, directing the fire of a half-track against a stubborn pillbox until he had effected the ultimate destruction of the Japanese fortification. Later in the day, although his weapon was twice shot from his hands, he personally covered the withdrawal of his platoon to the company position. Stouthearted and indomitable, Corporal Stein, by his aggressive initiative, sound judgment and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of terrific odds, contributed materially to the fulfillment of his mission, and his outstanding valor throughout the bitter hours of conflict sustained and enhanced the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service

I was intrigued what the hell was this personally improvised aircraft-type weapon

Doing some research it's this

Which happens to be

Stein's rare and improvised "Stinger" light machine gun was based on the ANM2 Aircraft machinegun. The ANM2 in turn was a totally new weapon based on the venerable 31-pound M1919 light machine gun (which is still in use around the world today). The ANM2 was designed for use as an aircraft mounted weapon and as such was much lighter (by some 30%) and also had a much higher rate of fire (1200-1500 rounds per minute vs. the stock M1919s much slower 400-600). These weapons had been salvaged from wrecked Douglas SBD Dauntless dive bomber aircraft by an intrepid marine armorer who added butt stocks and sights to the weapon from an M1 Garand and the light bipod from the BAR. With a 100-round belt carried in a aluminum box magazine it weighed some 25 pounds. It was considered by some to be the best squad automatic weapon of WWII. Only one of these weapons was assigned to Stein's battalion and he drew the lucky straw to carry it.

just wow what an amazing story

Wow that is awesome! Wish I could get my hands on one of those guns.
    [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

I always love war stories.. not that tete a good thing but the fact that they fought wars so we could be where we are now both my grandads were in WWll both came back I was only very young but they were never the same ..,my old man drove med transports in Vietnam.. I have my grandads war diary I've read most of it ... I feel so glad for what we have here in Australia our parents and grandparents gave their lives so we could live in reasonable peace ...
      sigpic

The sentence below is true.
      The sentence above is false.

Comment

I remember hearing about his exploits years ago. My wife's Uncle was a Marine Engineer on Iwo Jima. The heroism displayed by the likes of Corporal Stein is just incredible.
        Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
        Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
        I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Thats just badass. What a story! Makes me proud to be an American!
          We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

Yeah he possibly fired 900 rounds. Also this thing has a fire rate of 25 bullets per second

Comment

Originally posted by SIR rossy View Post
              I always love war stories.. not that tete a good thing but the fact that they fought wars so we could be where we are now both my grandads were in WWll both came back I was only very young but they were never the same ..,my old man drove med transports in Vietnam.. I have my grandads war diary I've read most of it ... I feel so glad for what we have here in Australia our parents and grandparents gave their lives so we could live in reasonable peace ...
              What intrigues me about New Zealand and Australia is I believe they are the only two countries to share a national holiday dedicated towards the armed forces of both countries. ANZAC day

Comment

Awesome story, mapes. Thanks for sharing.
                [SIZE=1][B]"Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption." ~President James Garfield[/B][/SIZE]
                <<< Please [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]donate[/URL] >>>

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X