No announcement yet.

Wish me luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit 'em like comic books, kaboom! pow pow!

Comment

Make sure you post back we want to hear how you got the job
      We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

First off I have very high recommendations from two people that work there. So the hiring manager and I traded emails and he called me this morning. He mentioned basically he has three jobs and two reqs. We chatted about the roles and what their product does. He then said this is what they pay. Which was 25K less than I currently make. I then said my wife's not gonna go for that. I told him the back story of how my wife quit her job and finish by asking him if he was married. To which he responded yes he was and no need to explain he understood perfectly. He then went on to say that even without the two reccos my resume was in the top 20%. So.. he said let me see what I can do and get back to you. The thing is I can drop my salary a bit as my commute will be 3 miles round trip as compared to 70. There is a huge quality of life increase when you don't spend an hour and forty minutes on the road. The other thing is he said he could combine a QA role and an IT role and maybe raise the pay. To be honest that would be awesome. Any tips on what I should do?

Comment

Take the job because nothing is more frustrating in life than driving that long. My "job" is about 3 miles one way. A 7 minute drive? I'll always take that. Not worth the hassle of going that far every single day. Count how many hours of your life you lost stuck somewhere in traffic.

Comment

Calculate how much you would save in gas, auto repairs, and peace of mind. Then double it. That may be the absolute most I would accept in a loss of pay. If they can up their offer to that (or whatever level you would actually be comfortable with), I would take it. Figure that the pure savings in auto upkeep would cancel out, and a few austerity measures like eating out at lunch a bit less would help with the doubling.

-Rand
            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

yea you can have your wife bring you a sandwich for lunch lol... see how that goes over <ps yes i am single>

Comment

Just did the math Gas is about 2K doubled 4K. I think I could even triple it to 6K and I'd prolly still take it. hmmm

Comment

Get him to go as high as possible, and then calculate your time at your hrly rate x 10 hrs per week, and decide...

I suspect you would love being that closed to home tho, more time for Cain's !!

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
                    yea you can have your wife bring you a sandwich for lunch lol... see how that goes over <ps yes i am single>

Funney thing about that. a couple of years ago I ended up taking 10 months off after I got laid off from Nokia and got a pretty good severance. "We" decided I would do all of the household chores and make my wifes lunch. Funny thing she still expected that when I got hired on again. So fast forward 5 years she quits her job and I'm all sweet I get my lunch made. Instead she goes off for 5 weeks to Modesto CA for horse training. My response...no lunch

Comment

shes just saying you need to lose weight LOL

Comment

Originally posted by mapes View Post
                        First off I have very high recommendations from two people that work there. So the hiring manager and I traded emails and he called me this morning. He mentioned basically he has three jobs and two reqs. We chatted about the roles and what their product does. He then said this is what they pay. Which was 25K less than I currently make. I then said my wife's not gonna go for that. I told him the back story of how my wife quit her job and finish by asking him if he was married. To which he responded yes he was and no need to explain he understood perfectly. He then went on to say that even without the two reccos my resume was in the top 20%. So.. he said let me see what I can do and get back to you. The thing is I can drop my salary a bit as my commute will be 3 miles round trip as compared to 70. There is a huge quality of life increase when you don't spend an hour and forty minutes on the road. The other thing is he said he could combine a QA role and an IT role and maybe raise the pay. To be honest that would be awesome. Any tips on what I should do?
                        If you're not strapped for cash, time is so much more valuable than money. I used to commute 150mi round trip - 75 there, 75 back which is really only an hour commute each way with our traffic, lack of traffic flow. An opportunity came up for me to work locally and my commute changed from 75 miles to 5 miles. It was the same company so I did not have to deal with a pay cut.

If you have kids or will have any, the time is irreplacable. Since I've been working locally, I've -

* Coached my kids softball team
                        * Made one more kid (oops )
                        * Attended every school function imaginable
                        * Grilled a ton more (charcoal, not a sissy gas grill)
                        * Experienced an increase in life quality by a magnitude of 3.

I don't know how long your commute is... 35miles in a larger city isn't the same as 35 miles down here... But if you find the commute to be a frustrating, energy sapping experience, you will love the energy you get back from not having to drive. I hated it, but there aren't many (any) software engineering jobs in smalltown, ms.

The time I used to waste driving to work, I now spend in the gym before I go to work. (Add increased bench press to the list of stuff I've done -- ).

If you can afford it -- go for it. If you can't, downsize your life and go for it.

People used to bug me about moving off and making `more money`, because my day job is boring and I'm not reaching my earning potential. But I don't think I could be any more content in life than I am now. I'm so damned happy it's unfair .

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                        Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                        widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X