EA's Origins Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EA's Origins Impressions

Let's face it, EA is going to make it a requirement to use Origins. So I decided to install it. I have a few impressions about.

1. It said the installer is 34MB, however it downloaded a 42MB file. That's a bad start...

2. You CANNOT change your avatar to whatever you want. It only allows you to choose from a few, and I mean few, preset avatars from their popular games like C&C and BF.

3. You CANNOT add games that you already have to run in their OSD. Only games that you have bough from Origins can be shown in your games library. I tried entering my Crysis CDkey but it didn't work with it or any other EA games I have.

4. Their forum is like this.

Announcements: 18 Threads
    Suggestions: 237 Threads
    Bugs and Issues: 1916 Threads (LOL!)
    Bugs and Issues (Resolved): 99 Threads

That does NOT look good!

5. It combines PSN and LIVE into the service. Imagine the servers crashing on BF3's first day! Which will happen. I don't want to be tied with Xboxys and PStolenIdentities.

6. I have once installed Burnout Paradise "not so" legally and it seems to have it in my games list! Ooops.

Has anyone tried it yet?

It's ok. I just use it to download my games. Now I don't have to keep disc copies. I used it and had no problems with it when it was the EA Downloader.

As far as using Origins for BF3 I really don't mind. Star Wars: The Old Republic is going to center around Origins as well.

I have zero interest in the social aspect of it.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
      3. You CANNOT add games that you already have to run in their OSD. Only games that you have bough from Origins can be shown in your games library. I tried entering my Crysis CDkey but it didn't work with it or any other EA games I have.
      You mean games you physically have?

If you bought any digital copies of games from the EA store in the past then they will be in your Origins list.

Comment

Originally posted by BadHabitz View Post
        You mean games you physically have?

If you bought any digital copies of games from the EA store in the past then they will be in your Origins list.
        Yes, I just thought that an EA game would work inside of EA's origins. I see no improvements over steam. You would think someone making a program it would include SOME innovations.

Comment

It doesn't work like that. Origins is just EA's digital downloader program. I've got 9 games/expansions on it, plus my pre-orders for SW:TOR and BF3.

I also have stuff on Steam.

Would it be nice to have it all on one program? I guess so. But is it a big deal to have games in two places? I don't think so. Once the game is installed I just click on an icon on my quick bar anyway, so it doesn't matter which service I got it from.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
          Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X