Qatar accused of buying World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qatar accused of buying World Cup

After the very fishy debacle that was the World Cup 2022 finals bidding, English journalists promised to dig into Fifa to prove it was corrupt after losing out to Qatar..... and now it's all starting to emerge. Around 50% of the executive commitee is now suspended for ethics/corrutption allegations.

Suspended Fifa vice-president Jack Warner has made public an e-mail that claims Mohamed Bin Hammam "bought" the 2022 World Cup finals for Qatar.

Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke admitted he sent the e-mail, which also questioned why Asian football boss Bin Hammam was running for Fifa president.

Valcke wrote: "[Hammam] thought you can buy Fifa as they bought the World Cup."

However, Bin Hammam responded by telling BBC Sport on Monday: "I don't know why he [Valcke] has said that."

The Qatari added: "If I was paying money for Qatar you also have to ask the 13 people who voted for Qatar."

Asked whether Valcke's allegation was true he said: "What do you think?"

Valcke stressed that his e-mail to Warner was intended to remain "private" and pointed out that Warner had only published selected parts of it.

"He [Warner] sent me an email asking if I want that [Bin Hammam to run for Fifa president], he said that I should ask Bin Hammam to pull out," Valcke added.

Valcke also denied that he had influenced Fifa's ethics committee, which Fifa suspended Warner and Bin Hammam on Sunday over separate allegations of bribery, pending further investigation.

He stated: "The first time I met the chairman of the ethics committee was yesterday [Sunday] at 1700 [BST] before we went to the press conference. I had no contact at all with anyone."

Bin Hammam was suspended a matter of hours after withdrawing from the Fifa presidential race on Sunday morning.
    BBC Sport - Qatar's Bin Hammam accused of buying 2022 World Cup

Hopefully this puts an end to Fifa.

What's the problem? Everything in this world goes to the highest bidder. How do you think England got the World Cup last time? There's a reason a country like Mozambique can't host the games.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
      What's the problem? Everything in this world goes to the highest bidder. How do you think England got the World Cup last time? There's a reason a country like Mozambique can't host the games.
      You don't pay off the commitee members and "buy" the World Cup. That is known as bribery.

You're saying that England bought the World Cup in 1966 with back handers?

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
        You don't pay off the commitee members and "buy" the World Cup. That is known as bribery.

You're saying that England bought the World Cup in 1966 with back handers?
        Yes, so did the US. When did the USA ever even care about the World Cup as a nation? Never, but someone thought it would be nice to get a couple billions in tourism. Highest bidder, always.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
          How can you truly call it bribery when there are no laws against the action, they are buying the rights to hold the cup anyways a few extra dollars spread to committee members is just spreading the wealth.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
          Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X