End of an era. The last typewriter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of an era. The last typewriter.

It had to come eventually but it's still sad to see.

End of an era as last mechanical typewriters are sold
    An era of clattering keys and inky ribbons is coming to an end, as the world's last mechanical typewriter manufacturer has revealed it has only 500 left in stock.

Godrej and Boyce, of India, ceased production in 2009 and has now almost cleared its remaining inventory, according to the Business Standard.

The firm's typewriter business peaked at 50,000 per year as the Indian economy took off in the 1990s, but tailed off as computers quickly took over.

"From the early 2000 onwards, computers started dominating. All the manufacturers of office typewriters stopped production, except us," said general manager Milind Dukle.

"Till 2009, we used to produce 10,000 to 12,000 machines a year," he added.

Godrej and Boyce still sells a few of its remaining mechanical typewriters to defence agencies, courts and government offices in India, for around ?165 each, but the factory in Pune has since been converted to produce refrigerators for the burgeoning middle class.
    End of an era as last mechanical typewriters are sold - Telegraph

Actually the report was premature. There is still another typaewriter factory out there. NBC appologized for the report last night.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

my parent own a typewriter back in the 90s,i used it from time to time, i dont know where it is now...
      Hit 'em like comic books, kaboom! pow pow!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
        Actually the report was premature. There is still another typaewriter factory out there. NBC appologized for the report last night.
        Apache
        Well, it's not just NBC that have been caught out by this bad journalism then lol.

Where's the other factory?

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
        Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
        widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X