When is old enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is old enough?

We are thinking of taking off for the weekend. Leaving early Fri. and not coming back till Sun. My 15- almost 16 year old doesn't want to go, he wants to stay home by himself. My only concern is that we would be leaving the state. I trust him 100% because he is so responsible. I told him he's not allowed to say anything on facebook about us leaving so that a few certain people wouldn't find out he's here alone.

Anyways, at what age does everyone think that is safe to be leaving kids home alone for a weekend.
    So go on, go on be your own, go on be your own star!
    A superstar in my eyes!

15 maybe 14. And I turn out fine

Comment

It depends on the maturity level of the child. If you trust him and he is mature enough 15 to 16 is fine. Make sure he has emergency contact numbers.
      Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
      Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
      I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Web cam setups FTW !! Remote into it and make sure things are as expected.

My daughter just turned 7, so I have a few years to go before having to worry about this particular issue. Good luck with it, Lady !
        Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Fifteen is good. Funny thing is I trusted my youngest step son to stay at home alone when he was 15 but not now, he's 17 now. No way in heck I'd give him the house to himself over the weekend now.
          [SIZE=1][B]"Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption." ~President James Garfield[/B][/SIZE]
          <<< Please [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]donate[/URL] >>>

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget View Post
            Web cam setups FTW !! Remote into it and make sure things are as expected.
            Trust, but verify.
            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

15 should be good...basically just shy of driving age, at which point they'll have more range and autonomny as well. And if Caddys did it and came out alright, well, I'm sure a mature young man should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} ObiTroy View Post
                Fifteen is good. Funny thing is I trusted my youngest step son to stay at home alone when he was 15 but not now, he's 17 now. No way in heck I'd give him the house to himself over the weekend now.
                LOL.

Comment

i was left alone at 12 to stay home alone and watch my sister. although if she was there too, i guess i wasnt home alone.
                  15-16 sounds like a good age. I agree with the above poster though, 15 yr old, hey bud, enjoy the house, we will be back monday. 17 year old,,, not a chance in hell son, not a chance in hell, hahah

Comment

13, yeah that's fine. I babysat my younger siblings a lot at that age. 16-18 it depends. My parents left me the house some weekends with the explicit warning "We will check for a party and the neighbors are watching (they were)" I knew if i threw a party I knew an ass beating was coming my way when the parents got home.
                    Last edited by baconoclock; 30 Dec 2010, 03:08 PM.
                    Delivering bacon goodness one round at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
                      It depends on the maturity level of the child. If you trust him and he is mature enough 15 to 16 is fine. Make sure he has emergency contact numbers.
                      Apache

Be sure to stock up on groceries before hand and umm mark the level in your alcohol bottles

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                        15 should be good...basically just shy of driving age, at which point they'll have more range and autonomny as well. And if Caddys did it and came out alright, well, I'm sure a mature young man should be fine.
                        He is driving already Skud. No alcohol in the house. Enough microwavable food and snacks that should last at least a week (even for a teenage boy). I have been leaving him alone since he was about 10. Of course it was just short periods of time at first but as he's gotten older, I can stay away longer. He's been babysitting his brothers since he was probably about 13-14.

Memorial weekend him and my 17 yro stayed home alone one night. Everything was great except he never let my dog out.
                        So go on, go on be your own, go on be your own star!
                        A superstar in my eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by lady-MGS View Post
                          We are thinking of taking off for the weekend. Leaving early Fri. and not coming back till Sun. My 15- almost 16 year old doesn't want to go, he wants to stay home by himself. My only concern is that we would be leaving the state. I trust him 100% because he is so responsible. I told him he's not allowed to say anything on facebook about us leaving so that a few certain people wouldn't find out he's here alone.

Anyways, at what age does everyone think that is safe to be leaving kids home alone for a weekend.
                          first time my parents did something like this i stayed at a friends house the first night then home alone the second, seemed like a good idea that was i wasnt home alone long but still had the night to myself(could also do this with a relative)

Comment

Agree with apache, if maturity level allows it's totally fine. I think the first time for me was when I was 15 or 16 and it was over the weekend.

Never did with my daughter.
                            [IMG]http://thepebkac.net/images/sigs/Outdoors_sig.jpg[/IMG]
                            Like the community? Donate here:
                            [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate[/URL]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                            widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X