Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neanderthal in your genes?

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...7568-1,00.html

An interesting article. Scientists have recently mapped genes from neanderthals (found frozen in a cave) dating back 38 to 44 thousand years. Comparing them to modern day humans they found humans can have up to 1 to 4% of neanderthal genes in their mix...which suggests interbreeding between the two (consensually?) and possible cohabitation.

Why do I always think of Gary Larson when I see the word 'neanderthal' ?

[SIZE=1][B]"Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption." ~President James Garfield[/B][/SIZE]
    <<< Please [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]donate[/URL] >>>

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} ObiTroy View Post
      Why do I always think of Gary Larson when I see the word 'neanderthal' ?

Lol

Comment

lol.
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

It might shock you, but I think I have a little neanderthal in me.

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
            http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...7568-1,00.html

An interesting article. Scientists have recently mapped genes from neanderthals (found frozen in a cave) dating back 38 to 44 thousand years. Comparing them to modern day humans they found humans can have up to 1 to 4% of neanderthal genes in their mix...which suggests interbreeding between the two (consensually?) and possible cohabitation.
            1 to 4% to me suggests sometype of common ancestor. I mean look at chimpanzees. Humans and chimps share 98% percent of DNA and no one is suggesting inter breeding

Comment

Originally posted by mapes View Post
              1 to 4% to me suggests sometype of common ancestor. I mean look at chimpanzees. Humans and chimps share 98% percent of DNA and no one is suggesting inter breeding
              I'm just quoting what the scientists suggested...I wouldn't profess to actually know it for a fact.

Comment

"Is that a neanderthal in your genes or are you happy to see me?"
                Delivering bacon goodness one round at a time.

Comment

That's what I thought the first time I heard the report.

"Is that a neanderthal in your genes or are you happy to see me?"

Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                  Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                  I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                  Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

I may not have a Neanderthal in my genes but I did shoot an elephant in my pajamas. How that elephant got in my pajamas I'll NEVER know!
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h22w6oWMt54
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by mapes View Post
                      More specifically, they're talking about mapping DNA here.
                      Scientists discovered that 1% to 4% of the latter three DNA samples is shared with Neanderthals ? proof that Neanderthals and early modern humans interbred. The absence of Neanderthal DNA in the genomes of the two present-day Africans indicates that interbreeding occurred after some root population of early modern humans left Africa but before the species evolved into distinct groups in Europe and Asia.
                      I really didn't go back into the article until now...DNA is pretty darned specific, hence the reason their mapping Neanderthal DNA made a news story as a major breakthrough...and if there are folks for whom 98% of their DNA is mapped as a chimps, could be possible, my heart goes out to them.

Comment

I thought Men were PIGS. lol
                        I have been accused of being a Neanderthal from time to time. Hehehe
                        ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Originally posted by Dead_And_Gone View Post
                          I thought Men were PIGS. lol
                          Maybe it's not men they're talking about.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X