New PC!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New PC!!

I now have Firefox, MSIE, and Thunderbird e-mail completed...

Next up, Office, Outlook (import my work e-mails and contacts), and then Steam games !!

--- Cain

PS If you are hesitating to get Windows 7 go get in NOW !!

Originally posted by Cain View Post
    PS If you are hesitating to get Windows 7 go get in NOW !!

I'm waiting another 6 months when I'll be in college and can get it for like $10.
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist."
    - Dom Helder Camara

Comment

After everything you've said about Win 7, I talked my mom into getting it.
      So go on, go on be your own, go on be your own star!
      A superstar in my eyes!

Comment

Yes sir !!

I too will be making the switch this month.

What version did you get ??

Comment

I have been using Windows OS'es for a long time now and Win 7 is the best one yet. Best meaning the most trouble free upon installation.
          Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Agreed. I am curious about the bsod problem Cain has had though.
            [IMG]http://thepebkac.net/images/sigs/Outdoors_sig.jpg[/IMG]
            Like the community? Donate here:
            [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate[/URL]

Comment

Windows 7 is not just clean and clear- more importantly is that its' accessible. Beyond the admin rights and etc, everything doesnt require a magic book or word of mouth to figure out.

I havent been able to find one thing that annoys me yet about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                I haven't been able to find one thing that annoys me yet about it.
                My problem is that fact that all these dipshyt journalists report that it is more secure than Vista.

What sorta BS statement is that ?? It MAY have been initially during its beta stages, but a change was again made to UAC to alleviate complaints that 'it pops up all the time'. So it was set to a lower security setting than the default in Vista.

Its this simple .... a smart power user does not click 'OK' to a random popup that crops up on their PC. I had a discussion with two Mac zealots today bragging that they had never had spyware/malware on their PC. I told them I hadn't either, and on top of that my PC would kick their Mac's ass all the way down to the curb.

Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Its this simple .... a smart power user does not click 'OK' to a random popup that crops up on their PC. I had a discussion with two Mac zealots today bragging that they had never had spyware/malware on their PC. I told them I hadn't either, and on top of that my PC would kick their Mac's ass all the way down to the curb.

And so true.
                  Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                  Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                  I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                  Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget View Post
                    My problem is that fact that all these dipshyt journalists report that it is more secure than Vista.

What sorta BS statement is that ?? It MAY have been initially during its beta stages, but a change was again made to UAC to alleviate complaints that 'it pops up all the time'. So it was set to a lower security setting than the default in Vista.
                    UAC is virtually useless as a means of malware prevention. I've seen more than one security firm report their findings, and here's a recent example.

Windows 7 vulnerable to 8 out of 10 viruses

Whether or not Windows 7 is more secure than Vista could be debated to no end. That said, there are plenty of new security-minded features in Windows 7. While many are more aimed at network administrators/enterprise users and not home users, there are things like the improved firewall customization and more prevalent backup reminders which could help the average person.

Comment

The administrator account is more or less "hidden" and it's stated that UAC was left in its default state. It's safe to assume a standard account was used for the tests.

Not having an antivirus may seem "rofl" but many inexperienced (and very experienced, but that's another discussion) users don't have one. Not to mention that having an antivirus in that specific test would have clouded the results.

I'm aware UAC is not intended to prevent malware and that's precisely my point. UAC is almost entirely useless in both Vista and 7, unless you've never used a computer before or lack any shred of common sense. Even then, as you hinted, the user would just "OK" the prompt anyway.

I didn't see Sophos mention whether the tests were run on Windows 7 x86, x64 or both.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                      widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X