Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we drop landlines entirely?

ATs Time to Cut the Cord - PC World Business Center

AT&T would like to, and they would like a date set. As the article mentions, not sure that with the current deployment of cell and digital services, as well as emergency situations that this is the best plan yet, but I see it creeping forward.
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

I haven't had a landline in about nine or ten years.
    [SIZE=1][B]"Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption." ~President James Garfield[/B][/SIZE]
    <<< Please [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]donate[/URL] >>>

Comment

VOiP works on my internet connection obviously which means I have no way to report my internet troubles WHEN MY PHONE IS RUNNING ON MY INTERNET!

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
        VOiP works on my internet connection obviously which means I have no way to report my internet troubles WHEN MY PHONE IS RUNNING ON MY INTERNET!
        Unless you have a backup like a cell this is one of the problems when that type of service goes down. I know the few times my U-Verse service went down I was like guess there's no point using the phone to report it...LOL

Comment

Lane lines is good in someway. There is times when we had bad ice storms that knock out power but some how still have phones. Cell phone can has thier flaws as there has been times the network is overloaded. Most of the time I work the graveyard shift and at least every 3 months there has been times around 3 am the network is down do to maintenance and upgrades on the hardware. This is the way it was explain to me since there is very few people are using the network and its find and I understand it (just hope no one needs to use 911) but when im away from my pc at work and use the cell phone to get online, it can get fustrating.

"But" other then that, I hadn't had a landline in 2 years

Comment

Without a land line you will not have DSL either.
            Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
            Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
            I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
            Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Caddys83 View Post
              Lane lines is good in someway. There is times when we had bad ice storms that knock out power but some how still have phones. Cell phone can has thier flaws as there has been times the network is overloaded. Most of the time I work the graveyard shift and at least every 3 months there has been times around 3 am the network is down do to maintenance and upgrades on the hardware. This is the way it was explain to me since there is very few people are using the network and its find and I understand it (just hope no one needs to use 911) but when im away from my pc at work and use the cell phone to get online, it can get fustrating.

"But" other then that, I hadn't had a landline in 2 years
              Allow me to explain.

1.) landline phone cables are buried underground and therefor are not susceptible to things like tree branches falling on them.

2.) Cell phones use a different network for 911 than regular calls. In fact (IIRC) it is mandated by the FCC that all cellphones are still able to reach 911, weather they are activated or not. Just flip open a cell phone and dial 911, no service provider necessary so long as you are within range of a cell phone tower.
              [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR}geneSW View Post
                landline phone cables are buried underground and therefor are not susceptible to things like tree branches falling on them.
                "most" of the line is underground, over 1/2 of my line is suspended on poles.
                Granted they are burying them where they can nowadays

I'm not insane. I'm just overwhelming!

·····••••• Support Cainslair. Donate here!•••••·····
                ·····••••• and get extra options! •••••·····

Comment

Originally posted by Sirex View Post
                  "most" of the line is underground, over 1/2 of my line is suspended on poles.
                  Granted they are burying them where they can nowadays
                  Well yes sirex... but you literally live out in the middle of nowhere IIRC.
                  [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by ObiTroy69 View Post
                    I haven't had a landline in about nine or ten years.
                    +1 No need for me to have two phones...and my hours make it so I'm away when most folks would be able to call me: hence the cell.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                    widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X