Emerald and Seed Pearl Necklace up for Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emerald and Seed Pearl Necklace up for Auction

An important, 19th-century emerald and seed-pearl necklace owned by the wife of the last Sikh ruler, the Lion of the Punjab, will be up for auction in Bonhams' next Indian and Islamic sale.

The auction will be held at Bonhams' New Bond Street location on Oct. 8, and the necklace is estimated to fetch between 25,000 and 35,000 British pounds (about $39,848 to $55,79.

The design features six polished emerald beads--one converted to a pendant--each gold-mounted and fringed with seed-pearl drop tassels and fastened with a gold clasp. The necklace comes with a fitted cloth-covered case, and the inside of the lid reads: "From the Collection of the Court of Lahore formed by HH The Maharajah Runjeet Singh and lastly worn by Her Highness The Late Maharanee Jeddan Kower."

The rare necklace, sold by Frazer and Hawes from Garrards, has a long and illustrious history. It was owned by the Maharani Jindan Kaur, wife of Ranjit Singh, whose empire stretched from the Indian Ocean to the Himalayas. Singh's court was fabled for its patronage of the arts and sciences, as well as for its riches.

After Singh's death, Kaur, his only surviving wife, came to power as Regent. She waged two unsuccessful wars against the British, and in 1846, was deposed as Regent. In February 1847, the British took possession of the capital, Lahore.

When the British took control of the court, they entered the Treasury, where they found the court jewels wrapped in cloth. The Treasury was fabled to be the greatest and largest treasure ever found. Its most famous and well-known jewels were taken away as gifts for Queen Victoria, including the Timur Ruby and the Koh-i Noor.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

That strumpet!

Comment

Bidding on it Apache?
      [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
      [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper110 View Post
        Bidding on it Apache?
        No, I bet he made it. lol.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR}geneSW View Post
          No, I bet he made it. lol.

Are you saying he's old?

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
            Are you saying he's old?
            I think we all say he is old
            [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
            So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

I certainly hear it enough on this forum.
              Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
              Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
              I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X