The 411 on Swine Flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 411 on Swine Flu

Thought I would post this experience for some of my friends in here.

In the last week my immediate family was diagnosed with Swine flue after my kids came back from a week day camp ill. They came down with symptoms on Saturday last week, and by Sunday were running 102 deg temps. By Monday they were better, but my wife who is pregnant came down with the symptoms on Tues. I came down with it on Wed evening, but I had the least traumatic symptoms.

What does this tell you?
    For one, the only person who received the antivirals was my wife, because she is pregnant.
    For two, kids and my wife, just as the news said, had some serious symptoms, but hydration, acetaminophen (sp?), and healthy food, and rest conquered the problem.
    For three, I am a very healthy person after losing 17 lbs in the last 3 months prior to this, which probably explains why I have the weakest symptoms.
    And last- the news is lying to us. This wasnt anything more serious than any other flu we have ever gotten. The ONLY difference was how quickly it spread.

My synopsis on the experience makes a few assumptions:

You have to react to the illness quickly, such as giving the acetaminophen childrens tylenol to your kids.
    If you have a pre-existing illness or condition such as asthma, being a heavy smoker, cancer, HIV/AIDS, heart condition, pregnancy, or are past the age of 50, then you should definitely recieve the antivirals.
    If you think that eating junk food while sick is going to be okay, think again, we all lost significant weight but thanks to my doctor's suggestion of increasing our calories by 1500, we probably saved ourselfs significant weakness and illness related torture.

Taking my synopsis against the 3rd world country and lower income levels win the US who have been dying, it would seem that my experience is pretty dead on with what others have experienced. I also looked into some of these deaths and found that many were in that ancillary group of existing conditions such as a history of pneumonia, smokers, asthma, had a heart condition (one kid had a murmur), and it all starts to make sense.

Why the media portrays this so ignorantly is simple, they probably get media revenue from the pharma groups and they get readership value from producing stories that are building episodically inside their news forums.

Anyways, dont worry about this flu too much in my opinion. If you get ill, act fast, eat alot, drink a lot of fluids, and take fever reducing medicines, but most importantly, SLEEP.

A. Hamster

Whats up Hammy?
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
    Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
    widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X