Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

competence

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4795443.shtml

It's amazing to me how many dollars and how much equipment the government can lose each year...and I'm guessing the stuff from Los Alamos ain't no joke!

Knowing how computer stations are used in a classified environment, I'm not too worried about loss of classified info. But still, someone is gonna get their_____ stepped on by DOD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Important facts missing from this news piece:

How many computers are in circulation as active assets?
      How many of the missing assets were in storage, unassigned?
      What is the employee to asset ratio? 1:1? 4:1?
      Are we talking about complete computers, or an arbitrary assignment to defined computer-? (i.e. I have seen it said that computers were stolen when it was actually monitors, keyboards, and etc)
      What was the generation of the missing technology?

Why is this important to me? Well if all of this equipment was stolen from the storage locker that houses all the old mainframe equipment, that is totally different than having 80 active laptops stolen. AND if there are 70,000 employees in active circulation in this area, and 80 computers go missing, I hardly think that it is unusual and it can almost be expected that some equipment will either be lost, stolen, or accidentally destroyed but undocumented.

Comment

well

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
        Important facts missing from this news piece:

How many computers are in circulation as active assets?
        How many of the missing assets were in storage, unassigned?
        What is the employee to asset ratio? 1:1? 4:1?
        Are we talking about complete computers, or an arbitrary assignment to defined computer-? (i.e. I have seen it said that computers were stolen when it was actually monitors, keyboards, and etc)
        What was the generation of the missing technology?

Why is this important to me? Well if all of this equipment was stolen from the storage locker that houses all the old mainframe equipment, that is totally different than having 80 active laptops stolen. AND if there are 70,000 employees in active circulation in this area, and 80 computers go missing, I hardly think that it is unusual and it can almost be expected that some equipment will either be lost, stolen, or accidentally destroyed but undocumented.
        I believe the article said there are 10,000 employees...and what, like 80 laptops/computers lost/stolen. I'm not sure about much else, but it seems like even if there are no security concerns, losing 80 computers to every 10,000 government employees would be of at least financial concern. Maybe they're old, in storage, etc...but we've seen the posts on how difficult it is to wipe the data from these drives....So, if taking a picture of a train is a national security threat, I think that this might be something to be aware of as well.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
        Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
        widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X