UK hit by worst snowfall in 18 years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK hit by worst snowfall in 18 years.

Britain is bracing itself for further disruption as fresh bands of snow sweep across the country.

South-east England has been hit by the heaviest snow in 18 years, causing trains and buses to be cancelled, and airports and schools to be closed.

Parts of London may see a foot (30cm) of snow, while the Pennines and parts of the north may see 20 inches (50cm).

The Met Office has issued an extreme weather warning for England, Wales and parts of eastern Scotland.
    BBC NEWS | UK | More snow sweeping across Britain

First the Polar Bears, now snow in UK.
    That darn global warming just cant make up its' mind.

Comment

hey

what are the smiles for? You like that garbage?!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
        what are the smiles for? You like that garbage?!!
        Garbage?!?!?!

Comment

hey

Originally posted by juneau View Post
          Garbage?!?!?!
          Last year in Madison we had a record of over 110 inches (not sure what the total ended up being) for the year. This year is close. It gets old driving a bus around all the folks who are out in their cars and shouldn't be.

Comment

Thats a LOT of snow

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
              Last year in Madison we had a record of over 110 inches (not sure what the total ended up being) for the year. This year is close. It gets old driving a bus around all the folks who are out in their cars and shouldn't be.
              I can see why you'd get tired of it. For us though, this happens very infrequently. Most years we're lucky if we get 1".

Comment

Remember, England is at the same lattitude as the Aleutian Islands. It's a wonder they don't get more snow than they do. If the Gulf Stream ever stopped, they would become a deep freeze. This is how "global warming" can turn into an "ice age".

When I lived in Anchorage (1977), it snowed so hard one time that they actually closed school. First time in 14 years that school was closed for snow. I managed to make it to McDonalds for breakfast when they announced it on the radio. A teacher was there. She started jumping up and down yelling "YAY, NO SCHOOL"! It was funny. So I grabbed the skis and headed to Artic Valley ski resort. I managed to make it all the way to lodge to find out that it was closed, FOR TOO MUCH SNOW! A ski resort closed for too much snow! I found out later that my little Datsun pickup was one of the few vehicles that was able to get up the mountain road. Let's here it for lightweight trucks with skinny studded snow tires driven by crazy teenagers.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by MR_MADHATTER View Post
                  Remember, England is at the same lattitude as the Aleutian Islands. It's a wonder they don't get more snow than they do. If the Gulf Stream ever stopped, they would become a deep freeze. This is how "global warming" can turn into an "ice age".

When I lived in Anchorage (1977), it snowed so hard one time that they actually closed school. First time in 14 years that school was closed for snow. I managed to make it to McDonalds for breakfast when they announced it on the radio. A teacher was there. She started jumping up and down yelling "YAY, NO SCHOOL"! It was funny. So I grabbed the skis and headed to Artic Valley ski resort. I managed to make it all the way to lodge to find out that it was closed, FOR TOO MUCH SNOW! A ski resort closed for too much snow! I found out later that my little Datsun pickup was one of the few vehicles that was able to get up the mountain road. Let's here it for lightweight trucks with skinny studded snow tires driven by crazy teenagers.
                  Exactly Madhatter. We're also a very wet country. Yet as soon as winter rolls in and the temperatures are great we get a lot of dry days. Until it slightly warms up then rains.

Comment

Enjoy the snow Juneau I know you like it. You can even have some of mine because I am sick of it... Although now I am here in Miami where it's nice an warm.
                    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

i saw this on the news today. they showed a guy skiing on the sidewalk.
                      Hit 'em like comic books, kaboom! pow pow!

Comment

Originally posted by RuThLeSsKiLLa View Post
                        i saw this on the news today. they showed a guy skiing on the sidewalk.
                        We also had snowboarders being pulled around by cars.

edit:

Britain is facing a fresh wave of travel chaos and school closures after weathermen warned a fresh band of snow is on its way. Forecasts predict another 10 inches could fall in some areas and that the cold snap will last until beyond the weekend.
                        LOL!

Lightning during the storm.

BBC NEWS | UK | Lightning strike amid Kent snowstorm

edit2:

Snow! Mega Cheap!!!! Grab A Bargain!!! on eBay, also, Other, Everything Else (end time 08-Feb-09 17:27:41 GMT)

LOL!!!!!!
                        Last edited by juneau; 4 Feb 2009, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Oh dear! We just got hit again. And we're all out of road salt.

Flash warnings of severe or extreme weather
                          These are issued when the Met Office has 80% or greater confidence that severe weather is expected in the next few hours.

Widespread Icy Roads 1900 Sun 8 1000 Mon 9

West Midlands:
                          Herefordshire
                          Shropshire
                          Staffordshire
                          Stoke-on-Trent
                          Telford + Wrekin

Drifting Snow & Heavy Snow 1800 Mon 9 2359 Mon 9

West Midlands:
                          60% Herefordshire
                          60% Shropshire
                          60% Staffordshire
                          60% Stoke-on-Trent
                          60% Telford + Wrekin
                          Rain turning to snow in many places will give accumulations of 5 to 10cm generally and 15 to 20cm over hills. Some drifting is possible in the strong easterly winds.

Drifting Snow & Heavy Snow 0001 Tue 10 1200 Tue 10

West Midlands:
                          60% Herefordshire
                          60% Shropshire
                          60% Staffordshire
                          60% Stoke-on-Trent
                          60% Telford + Wrekin
                          Further snow is expected in many places with falls of 5 to 10cm generally and 15 to 20cm over hills. Some drifting is possible in the strong northeasterly winds.
                          I'm gonna go watch Day After Tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                            First the Polar Bears, now snow in UK.
                            That darn global warming just cant make up its' mind.
                            Havent you figured out yet global warning is just a bunch of bologna!

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin_Jack View Post
                              Havent you figured out yet global warning is just a bunch of bologna!
                              I thought Globall Warming got dropped. Then they invented Climate Change.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X