These guys are cracking me up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These guys are cracking me up

FOXNews.com - Scientists Not So Sure 'Doomsday Machine' Won't Destroy World - Science News | Science Technology | Technology News

What in the world makes these guys think something so common sensical as this will just disappear in a millisecond. Do they really believe their math and logic can predict everything.
    [IMG]http://thepebkac.net/images/sigs/Outdoors_sig.jpg[/IMG]
    Like the community? Donate here:
    [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate[/URL]

John Ellis explaining why the LHC is safe.

YouTube - CERN- Interview with John Ellis - Theoretical physicist
    K3BASFM. "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
    sigpic

Support Cainslair. Donate here! Cain's Lair Forums

Comment

I love science for the reasons that people who are "in science" don't enjoy hearing.

Two "top of the mind" Examples:

When they put soldiers in the field to test radiation exposure during desert nuke tests in the 1940s and 50's to "see what happens when _______________" (fill in the blank with endless comments)

When they say "an unforeseeable set of unique circumstances" instead of just saying "there was no way we would have been able to see this side-effect from occuring"

Cmon now! Do we really believe that we can harness the entire universe of probabilities when, in fact, our mental capabilities limit the total computative variables from which we can deduct?

Computers are not limitless, and they are only as fallable as the foresight and accuracy of the designer.

Just my two cents. I think we will need to just wait and see on this one- Perhaps the LHC is like the apple hanging from the tree in the garden of Eden, and that these scientists are Eve. Cant just leave it alone, could you Alice?

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
        I love science for the reasons that people who are "in science" don't enjoy hearing.

When they put soldiers in the field to test radiation exposure during desert nuke tests in the 1940s and 50's to "see what happens when _______________" (fill in the blank with endless comments)
        That wasn't science that was the military. Science said "who the @#$@ knows". The military said "Lets find out....Troops you are going to march in".

Just like that the pills they gave to troops in Iraq for WMD or another great example which makes me shudder... When scuba diving there are a set of tables that say how long and how deep you can go before getting the bends. They are called the Navy Tables. The Navy sent divers down to get get them bent ..... Hmmm no thanks.

When they say "an unforeseeable set of unique circumstances" instead of just saying "there was no way we would have been able to see this side-effect from occuring"
        For the record these scientists are not saying that the LHC will destroy earth. they're saying that the threat model might be flawed...

Cmon now! Do we really believe that we can harness the entire universe of probabilities when, in fact, our mental capabilities limit the total computative variables from which we can deduct?
        Hell yeah we can. we can do anything we put our minds too.

Just my two cents. I think we will need to just wait and see on this one- Perhaps the LHC is like the apple hanging from the tree in the garden of Eden, and that these scientists are Eve. Cant just leave it alone, could you Alice?
        Coming from you Hammy that is a very apt metaphor....

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
        Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
        widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X