X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NZ man picks up some US Army files for $15

NZ man finds US army files on MP3 player
    January 26, 2009 - 7:09PM

A New Zealand man has found confidential United States military files on an MP3 player he bought at an op shop in the US.

Chris Ogle, 29, from Whangarei, bought the player from an Oklahoma thrift shop for $NZ18 ($A14.50), and found the files when he hooked it up to his computer, TV One News reported on Monday night.

The 60 files on the player contained the names and personal details of American soldiers, including ones who served in Afghanistan and Iraq.

There was also information about equipment deployed to bases and a mission briefing.

"The more I look at it, the more I see and the less I think I should be," Ogle said.

Victoria University strategic studies director Peter Cozens said one of the first rules of military endeavour was to not give the opposition information that could compromise your position.

"This is just slack administrative procedures which are indeed a cause of embarrassment. It's the sort of thing which ought not really be in the public domain, he said.

Ogle said the player never worked as a music player and he would hand it over to the US Defence Department if asked.
    NZ man finds US army files on MP3 player

NZ man accesses US military secrets

ONE News has gained access to the personal files of American soldiers, uncovering military secrets from the most powerful nation in the world.

In November last year the US Defence Department banned the use of portable data storage devices.

However, Chris Ogle from Whangerei got more than he bargained for when he bought an MP3 player from an Oklahoma thrift shop for $18.

When the 29-year-old hooked up the player he discovered a playlist he could never have imagined - 60 files in total, including the names and personal details of American soldiers.

"The more I look at it, the more I see and the less I think I should be!" he says.

Some of the information appears to be a mission briefing.

ONE News found amongst the files lists of soldiers based in Afghanistan, along with the names of some personnel who have fought in Iraq and cellphones numbers for soldiers based overseas.

ONE News called some of the numbers and the phones are still active.

The files that the numbers were located in are marked with a warning saying the release of its contents is "prohibited by federal law".

There are also details of equipment deployed to the bases and private information about soldiers, such as social security numbers and even which ones are pregnant.

"One of the first rules of military endeavour is not to give the opposition anything whatsoever that they could use to compromise your position, in any way at all," says Peter Cozens of Strategic Studies at Victoria University.

Most of the files found are dated 2005 and seem unlikely to compromise US national security, but experts contacted by ONE News say they could put the individual soldiers at risk.

"This is just slack administrative procedures which are indeed a cause of embarrassment. And it's the sort of thing which ought not really to be in the public domain," says Cozens.

The US Army and the American embassy will not comment.
    New Zealand man gains access to US military secrets | NATIONAL
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Couple of things here:

1. No matter how you secure information, it is always at risk.
    2. Theft of the material, while the fault of the military, doesnt place the entire system in the position of carelessness, just the person responsible for said files is neglegent.
    3. There are ratings for each set of files, and this reads like many stories where "filler" is necessary. Example: My personnel file at my office here is confidential. Because I am not deployed in a battlezone doesnt mean that my files are not of equal value as that soldier.
    4. The deployed equipment, well I would be concerned but at the same time, we dont know if this is a freakin motorpool check list for how many septic tank trucks they have deployed.

It's concerning, but its also kind of weak journalism.

Comment

you americans dont know how to do anything right! you loose info of 60 people and some equipment... pfft we(british) REGULARLY loose info on thousands of people. So next time your gna loose something do it propa ye? lol
      Kaeben

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
      Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
      widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X