stupid question time..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stupid question time..

ok, the tax man has sent my checks, upgrade about to begin... not all at once( mostly just omitting OS upgrade for the moment, do not need it till BF3 comes out anyway)

this is my cpu, i know its not a sandy bridge, but ive done all the debating and reading i can do , and well, i like the cost vs performance on this chip, and it will last me at least 2 years( if i dont plan on OC'ing, should i just get the non black edition? i mean, it sounds like i can tax this thing, so i may go for like a modest 10%, but nothing serious)

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

now my real concern is, can i use nvidia cards in SLI with this amd processor? I have ben reading around that you cant, or that you can, and now i am just confused. i know that amd bought ATI, but i like the nvida family. so if i get a mobo with no on board video, and does not clearly say "crossfire" i should be good right? this was my planned mobo,

Newegg.com - MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

this one has my concerned the most. ill be P.O.!!!! if i ordered all this crap, and it somehow didnt work. Also, who should supply the SLI bridge, i do not se it in any of the pics i look at on mobo or vid card side. I have an extra ASUS bridge, are they universal in size?

i am only going with 4GB of ram at this time, when i upgrade to win7 64bit, ill pick up another 4.
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

thats is my base, if i can go nvida, i am going to sleep a night on getting two cards for SLI, or just one nice one to be upgraded again in a year or so( the dual 8600gts i have must go ) if i need to go ATI/radeon, i need to do more reading. what would be more important clock speeds or the number of processing cores? some of these 500 series cards have the same number of cores as the 400 series, just much much higher clock speeds. the ATi cards sem to have a ton more cores, but much much lower speds. none of their stats are the same on newegg, so its hard for me to compare the two without some sort of test graph. i am looking to spend no more than 125 per card if i go dual, if i have to just buy one, id like to spend no more than like 160 or so.( unless a 250$ cards numbers were more than 2x the 125 $ cards, i wouldnt be interested in case you wonder why the odd dollar amounts)

anyway
    all this can be done without me needing to upgrade my PSU, case or cooler. ill throw the stock cooler back onto my intel, and throw my coolermaster on the new phenom. i am happy to hear your thoughts. i am also happy that i think i have it narrowed down. ( save those pesky vid cards)

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,815   Members: 6,178   Active Members: 4
Welcome to our newest member, joky12.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X