Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corsair 850w modular PSU for ... $35 ?? I'm IN !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corsair 850w modular PSU for ... $35 ?? I'm IN !!!

Ebay sale, listed as 'For parts or not working'.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251725325616...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Condition,
    This power supply is in new condition, removed from a computer case
    that did not have anything else but the power supply and a computer fan,
    we connected it to a computer and made it run, CD-ROM and hard drive
    run as well but the power supply's fan does not work. (Didn't spin)
    For this reason it is sold for parts or repair only.
    Interestingly enough, this PSU's fan does NOT spin up at startup -it needs to have a load put on it before it will spin. So this recycler does not know what he has. I jumped on this deal to replace a 550w XFX that I currently have on a test rig. I can't run SLI or CF on that 550, but I can on this 850. I just got a dead AM2 mATX board from a co-worker, so I will be using that to test this PSU before I actually use it on any known good hardware of mine. Worst case scenario, I can return it to Corsair (it has a 3 year warranty and you don't need an invoice to return it) and pay the $12 shipping cost for a new tested unit. I will post when I get it next week and we will see if it was in fact a killer deal or a killer of hardware.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Nice.
      Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
      Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
      I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Bargain!

Comment

Nice find
          [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
          Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

PSU got here yesterday. Y'all know me .. it took a few hours to have it on the bench and hooked up to a garbage board to test. Powered up that board with no pops, sparks, hisses, clicks or flames !! Always a good sign !!

Knowing that it was probaby fine but still not trusting it yet, I now hooked it up to a functional but mainly worthless board - an Intel DG33 mATX board with a C2D 4600 CPU. No boot at first, but I remembered the onboard video was dead on this board, so i popped an Nv 6800 card into it and it fired right up. Still no hint of a PSU fan turning,but again this is a particular trait of this PSU with its 'Zero RM fan mode'. I assumed it would at least spin over a few RPMs at bootup, but from what I read on the web even that is in dispute with these PSUs. remember, I can RMA this thing back assuming it is newer than 5 years old.

A few pics to show what I got:
            CorsairTX850m.jpg

Specs on the PSU:
            TX850mSpecs.jpg
            Note this is a semi-modular, so I wish it was full, but what do ya expect for $35 ??
            TX850SemiMod.jpg
            I received only the one cable bundle, so I am missing the 'Peripherals & SATA' cable needed for SLI or CF, but that can be bought on the Corsair website for under $10. Plan for this is to go into a test rig that I use for testing video cards or different OS - currently dual booting between Win 8.1 and Windows 10 tech preview.
            Last edited by WalkinTarget; 13 Dec 2014, 08:14 PM.
            Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Pics aren't spinning up either.
              --Slaughter

Comment

Originally posted by Slaughter View Post
                Pics aren't spinning up either.
                +1 lol
                [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

And that's what I get for canceling my webhosting of 11 years today I tried to share the pics via OneDrive, they SHOW that they are public and shared but obviously they are not here.

Comment

So I got around to adding this PSU to a test rig this weekend, and while I found that it runs fine with the modest load that I'm putting on it, based on searches on google and the Corsair forums, it does indeed have an issue with the fan. The fan will try and turn at startup, but it looks like an invisible pencil is jammed into the blades and prevents it from spinning.

Note that this does not in any way detract from its output, as it is powering a very modest setup right now - an AMD X4 @ 3.7 and a Sapphire 4870 card. I also tested a 4870x2 and have a GTX580 as well. The PSU (if it's working properly) will only spin the fan once temps get up to around 49c and or 40% load.

Corsair recommends running Prime 95 and Furmark both at the same time to get the fan running. I may RMA it in a few months, but for now I don't see it as a problem since it isn't being pushed at all.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                    Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                      by Apache Warrior
                      6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                    • Reply to 6 years
                      by Sirex
                      I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                      Just hit 2.5K miles...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                    • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                      by Sirex
                      Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                    • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                      by Sirex
                      Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                    • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                      by Sirex
                      Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                    Working...
                    X