Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win XP deadline upcoming !! Anyone care ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win XP deadline upcoming !! Anyone care ??

Anyone still rolling on an XP rig ?? I have plenty of machines but only one box still on XP. I used it years ago as a bench rig to diagnose customer PCs, and had it hooked to a KVM to toggle from customer PC to my PC to google whatever junk I found on their PC. It was retired and a new bench rig built, but I never had the heart to sell it (long story there - save it for another day).

I'm curious if anyone never bothered to upgrade, and if they ran into any issues so far.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

The only computer I have that is still running XP is the one hooked up to my Engraving Machine.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Sadly my work computer runs XP.... can you talk about cheap.

Comment

I still have one built in 2008 running XP (also have Win 7 on a laptop, for the curious). Since I'm not running current games or other advanced software on the box it still works like a champ. I use the Chrome browser and have both AV and anti-spyware/malware running. At some point I'll build something new to replace it.
        --Slaughter

Comment

I have a feeling I may get very busy once Microsoft's XP 'end of life' update starts popping up on these machines on April 8. I service a LOT of XP rigs for home users, simply because they still work and users have no need to upgrade them. On top of that, most are saddled with 1GB of RAM, and Vista would run like crap with that amount of RAM.
          Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Our network at work consists of over 80% xp machines....
            As for home, few old laptops and a desktop still use it.
            But they are seldom used now.

I'm not insane. I'm just overwhelming!

·····••••• Support Cainslair. Donate here!•••••·····
            ·····••••• and get extra options! •••••·····

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget View Post
              I have a feeling I may get very busy once Microsoft's XP 'end of life' update starts popping up on these machines on April 8. I service a LOT of XP rigs for home users, simply because they still work and users have no need to upgrade them. On top of that, most are saddled with 1GB of RAM, and Vista would run like crap with that amount of RAM.
              I got the pop up at work. Funny thing is my computer runs better then people with windows 7.

Comment

So hold on, they're gonna shut down all XP machines on April 8th? Why else would you busy? They haven't updated XP for a long time. Why would people care.

Comment

lol, moved on a while ago...

2k was the shit, then XP came out.
                  XP was nice at the time, it beat 2k easily. But in 2014... it shows it's age.
                  Vista was supposed to be an improvement, it was not, it was like Win ME... it was terrible. I still have a Laptop running it... (groan)
                  Win 7 was what Vista should've been minus a few headaches that Win 7 still has. (Gaming PC, HTPC, and Work Laptop)
                  Window 8/8.1 are like the Vista of 2010+.

My workplace is rolling out the conversion of about 5000 machines... thank god I'm not in Desktop services. My network infrastructure is there and fine, but the business is doing this last minute, so everything is being rushed and a lot of legacy applications are not working... I mean seriously, how long ago was notice given that the last day of support was April 2014? Sometimes I wonder if businesses ever realize that IT is near identical to Logistics. You have to constantly keep your fleet maintained and relevant, otherwise your competition becomes more effective and efficient, therefore outperforms you at a business operations level.

Anyways... really need a new job

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
                    ...Why would people care.
                    In 2024, some guy will brag about how he's been running XP all those years without any problem at all. I will believe him. However, after April 8, the malware risk will increase for an XP PC connected to a network or the Internet. This risk will continue to increase, but nobody knows how much.

Everybody I help is already on Windows 7 or 8. Hypothetically, if I was responsible for fixing somebody's XP PC, I would prepare by doing this:
                    - Make a good backup (image + all files).
                    - Disconnect that drive and put it away.
                    - Hook-up a second drive, do the same, and leave it hooked up for daily backups.
                    Disconnected backups (refreshed on a schedule) are good whether it's for XP or not.

Comment

So hold on, they're gonna shut down all XP machines on April 8th? Why else would you busy? They haven't updated XP for a long time. Why would people care.
                      No they won't "shut down all XP machines". They will still work but MS won't be issuing any security updates/patches for them. It will become "nagware" when monthly a message is supposed to pop up reminding the user that it's no longer supported and of the potential security issues: new malware/zero-day exploits that won't get patched.

As wigz has pointed out there are still legacy applications that are running on XP that haven't been updated. (Hell, there are still DOS applications that people still run for some businesses). And as he also pointed at in his company's case, as for many others, IT doesn't get the respect and love and care and dollars that another department such as logistics gets. It is an expensive proposition to keep systems and software maintained and relevant and for many execs it's not the same as being able to see and touch a fleet of vehicles carrying people or cargo or a new manufacturing line or plant cranking out product. Some execs get it, but many don't. I had a big run in with a company bigwig who just couldn't wrap his head around the fact that it is illegal to buy one copy of software and install it on dozens of machines, just because it many instances you can do physically do it.
                      --Slaughter

Comment

Originally posted by Slaughter View Post
                        (Hell, there are still DOS applications that people still run for some businesses)
                        My POS (Point of Sale not the other ) Software is still DOS based although I am running it on Win 7.
                        Apache

I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

It's an annoying popup. MS will word it along the lines of 'Your PC is now not fully protected and you run a much higher risk of getting infected'.
                          If they make it annoying enough, I can charge 'em just to remove the MS 'spyware' and go back to an ad-free existence !!

Comment

The computer running my engraver is not hooked up to the internet. It hasn't been for many years (7). I doubt I will be getting that popup.
                            Apache

Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Every computer I own or use runs Win7. Some people I work with still have desktops with XP. They will probably get replaced with Dell systems running Windows 8.1.

I saw something the other day that XP is already more vulnerable to attack than Windows 7 (or something to that effect). That will only increase once they quit sending out patches.
                              [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X