Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I got an SSD

So I got an SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB.
    Installed and used the migration software. Luckily for me I just need to find screws to secure it in my drive bag on the computer. Everything is already hole punched.
    Installed the magician software.
    I set the OS optimization to max performance.

Question 1.

Does the OS work through the SSD now or do I need to do anything else?
    Question 2.

If I open BF4 does it automatically go through the SSD drive? The best way to test it would be to play the game... sadly all of EA is down.
    Question 3.

For some reason I have an E and F drive.
    Not sure if there was some type of partition that happened?
    E drive has only 99.9 MB of space .
    F drive has 232 GB of space.
    Question 4.

There is a rapid mode to the magician. Not sure if I should run it.

Question 5.

There is a data security feature. Encryption and such. Not enabled. Then again if everything is saving to both HD and SSD why just run a special encryption on it?

I am sure there are more questions to come.

It sounds like you may be still booting to the old C drive, with the SSD showing up with two partitions, E and F. Go into BIOS Setup and change the HDD boot order so it boots to it first instead of the mechanical drive.
    [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
      It sounds like you may be still booting to the old C drive, with the SSD showing up with two partitions, E and F. Go into BIOS Setup and change the HDD boot order so it boots to it first instead of the mechanical drive.
      I checked the Bios and I can boot up on the SSD... I can't set it for some reason to boot up each time on the SSD... time to call tech support for that I guess.

Comment

Im not to knowledgeable on SSD's as i've just recently ordered one and just waiting for it to come in but,
        #1. If you installed the OS on the SSD yes
        #2. If bf4 is installed on the SSD drive yes
        #3. idk
        #4. idk
        #5. idk

This video might be useful for you.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMo8krAJd5Q

Hope this helps a little.

Comment

What's your current OS setup, fooler? A lot of people seem to run into issues these days when they're adding a new OS drive and not getting rid of the old one.

BF4 by default installs on whatever your C: drive is.

Sounds like you didn't partition the drive correctly. Either that or your OS is picking up the option within Magician to hide a certain percentage of the drive which aids health and performance.

Yes, you want rapid mode on.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
            What's your current OS setup, fooler? A lot of people seem to run into issues these days when they're adding a new OS drive and not getting rid of the old one.

BF4 by default installs on whatever your C: drive is.

Sounds like you didn't partition the drive correctly. Either that or your OS is picking up the option within Magician to hide a certain percentage of the drive which aids health and performance.

Yes, you want rapid mode on.
            Juneau,
            I am running windows 7.
            The software just duplicated the drive onto the SSD. Completely duplicated everything. I even have BF4 on it.
            I think I was good with going to bios and booting up from the SSD and then BF4 load screen was faster.
            The bios finds the ssd. It just won't give it to me as an option to have it the default boot up drive.

Should I try to wipe the HD ? I think I want to get it booting from the SSD everytime before I start playing around with it. I might have to call tech support and ask them how to get the SSD as the default boot. then unplug the HD and see if it works well.

I really don't have a problem with the little partition. Everything was done automatically through the software.

Comment

So do you have your old boot up drive still connected? And you're trying to get your BIOS to ignore it in favour of the new SSD?

Comment

So do you have your old boot up drive still connected? And you're trying to get your BIOS to ignore it in favour of the new SSD?
                Yea the old HD is still connected and yes I want the bios to ignore the HD. When I go into the settings I have a choice for default boot up. The SSD does not come up as an option.
                Though I can manually have it boot up with the SSD and it shows easily in the start up menu.

Comment

Have you tried unplugging the old one?
                  [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                  Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
                    Have you tried unplugging the old one?
                    Not yet. I wanted to try to get the bios to default. Though it should be my next thing to do . At work until 4 pm.

Comment

Most BIOS' won't ignore it as the boot commands are present on the drive. You simply have to choose with drive to boot from each time you turn on your PC.

Why do you need 2 boot drives with the same OS install anyway? Saw this happen with Duke too.

Comment

Most BIOS' won't ignore it as the boot commands are present on the drive. You simply have to choose with drive to boot from each time you turn on your PC.

Why do you need 2 boot drives with the same OS install anyway? Saw this happen with Duke too.
                        That is what I am saying about the bios. It won't let me choose the SSD card to boot from. It gives me the HD option and optical.

I don't need 2 boot drives. It is what happened,if I could get rid of one and just keep pictures, music or recipes on the HD it would be good. Plus I have about 160gb on the SSD now. To do the migration I had to delete a bunch of things. Not much room left after I start downloading more games.

Comment

Under the Boot Options screen in setup, there should be a HD Boot order subdirectory that allows you to prioritize the HDDs. The old HDD is currently the first option. You need to move the SSD to the first HDD.
                          [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Unplug the HDD. Looks like what you did was copy the HDD to the SSD, but never changed the boot order to point to the new SSD as the active bootable drive.

By unplugging the HDD, it should then use the SSD as the primary bootable drive. You may need to make sure everything works for a week, then plug the HDD back in and either format it to be used for big storage, or just leave it unplugged as a backup of the existing SSD.
                            Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Just thought of something else worth a try. You're supposed to installed your SSD and the very first Sata port. I imagine your old HDD is still plugged into this slot.

Agree with WT above.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X